Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Oh Pumpkin, How I Love You!

So we're just a few short days from hitting October 1st, and that mean's that Fall is here.  And when Fall is here, that tells me two things -- football is in full-swing, and it's time for pumpkins!  I love and adore just about ANYTHING pumpkin scented or flavored.  Seriously, almost anything.  I have never met an edible pumpkin item that I didn't like, and I have almost never met a pumpkin scented item I didn't like.  The scented exception was some weird, cheap candle I found once that didn't smell anything like real pumpkin, and it had this brownish/rust color that also turned me off.  But I think that must have been an anomaly.

Currently, I'm breaking out my pumpkin recipes and I'm going to be making one new pumpkin food item each week through Thanksgiving.  If the recipes turn out well, I'll post them on the blog to share with you.  If they're duds, I'll tell you that too, to spare you from trying an awful recipe that you'll just end up regretting.  I'm going to try desserts, muffins, breads, and maybe even a main dish too. I'm all about discovering the many uses for pumpkin.

I have also become enamored of Bath and Body Works' Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin body products over the years, particularly after I began working there as a part-time associate.  The scent is like crack to me--once I get a whiff, that's it, I'm hooked and I need to use it all the time.  I usually buy at least 5 bottles of the shower gel to get me through the Fall, as well as the scented hand soap.  This year they also had anti-bacterial hand sanitizer and body scrub in the pumpkin scent this year, FINALLY.  I'm in hog heaven with this stuff. 
For candles, though, I prefer the Pumpkin Patch to the Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin or the Creamy Pumpkin (yeah, there are like 3 or 4 different pumpkin scents, for crazies like me).  It just smells more like the real thing.  Yankee Candle has some nice Pumpkin Pie scented candles, but they don't really hold a candle (no pun intented) to the Pumpkin Patch at BBW.

As part of my pumpkin addiction, there's been a recent influx over the past few years of pumpkin flavored beers.  I can't get enough of these things!  I think they put some kind of addictive additive into them that makes me crave them all the time.  In previous years, there were a few craft beer companies that had pumpkin beers, and in large part they were good.  My favorite had been Shipyard's Pumpkinhead Ale, but it seemed to be hard to find due to it's popularity in my area.  Last year I noticed a few more pumpkin beers, and this year it seems like the pumpkin beer trend has exploded.  Hubby and I stopped at Total Wine a few times and were amazed at how many companies had pumpkin beers, so we bought singles to try as many as possible.  Many of them taste alike, but a few have stood out to us.  First, my tried and true Pumpkinhead.
Another beer Hubby and I tried that we really enjoyed was Arcadia Ales' Jaw-Jacker Ale.  We found this in Michigan last Fall but we've been unable to find it in Florida at all. (That sort of rhymed, ha).  This makes Kari sad, but luckily there are others to help fill the void.

A few weeks back, Hubby surprised me one night by bringing home an assortment of new pumpkin beers for me to try, which I needed after having a horrendously bad day.  He found me Woodchuck's Pumpkin Cider!  I had never even heard of this, but I'm a huge fan of both pumpkin and Woodchuck cider, so I knew this was going to be awesome.  It didn't disappoint in the least.

Post Road (Brooklyn Brewery) and Weyerbacher make great pumpkin beers too, if you're looking for some new stuff to try.  I also hear that Buffalo Bill's makes a great pumpkin, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere yet.

And who could forget about pumpkin stuff at the grocery store?  Ben & Jerry's has an AMAZING Pumpkin Cheesecake Ice Cream (with a graham cracker swirl, thank you very much!) that is beyond yummy, and Publix's Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream isn't too shabby either.  I saw Pumpkin Spice Eggo waffles at Target the other day that looked pretty awesome, and I'm still waiting to find my pumpkin spice coffee creamer in the dairy aisle.  Pumpkin bagels and cream cheese are back at Einstein Brothers bagels too, so I'll need to stop there soon for my fix.

Finally, how could I ever forget about my passion for Pumpkin Spice Lattes from Starbucks??  Talk about addictive properties.  It's so hard to limit myself with these things because the craving factor runs REALLY high, particularly the more I drink them.  And I KNOW that I'm not alone in this.  I haven't met anyone who doesn't like these little cups of heaven.  I have only had one so far this year, and I'm going to ration them out to myself so that I don't go completely crazy on them. 
So can you tell I'm obsessed?  I think you can.  I recognize that it's sort of silly, but I feel unapologetic about it because it's one thing that I look forward to every year and it's not, like, illegal or anything.  Let me know if you've found any other great pumpkin items out there!

No comments:


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved