Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A New Adventure

Now that we've been married for 4 months TODAY (YAY!), I've learned that life has just thrown Hubby and I our first big curveball.  His employer announced yesterday that they were shutting his division down on Decebmer 15 and everyone would be laid off.  Yes, 10 days before Christmas and 12 days before my birthday (like that even matters at this point, really).  Hubby is sad because he's worked there for 5 years and has never lost a job before.  He has no idea how to cope with the idea of being unemployed, since it's never been his reality.  I've been unemployed at two points in my career (not by any fault of my own), and it's devastating when you're a hardworker and sitting idle isn't your cup of tea.  Hubby's employer said that they'll try to find jobs for people in the local area, either within their own company or with other companies that currently have openings for similar work.  I think that's a nice notion, but we'll see if that really comes to fruition considering that this employer has announced that they're laying off 30,000 employees in the next two years.  I just have a hunch that placing their cast-offs in comparable positions isn't the highest priority for them.

Since I work as an HR Manager, I am going to help Hubby get his resume together and create a LinkedIn page to start building connections.  Part of me wonders if this could be a blessing in disguise.  Hubby really hates this job and wants a job doing his real passion, radio.  Radio jobs are super hard to come by and it's all about who you know.  The problem is that Hubby doesn't really know anyone outside of the station he currently works for part-time, since it's the only station he's ever worked for.  I guess it's time that he gets out there and starts shaking hands and kissing babies, making the most of every interaction he has with these people in hopes of landing a full-time gig.  Radio people are a strange breed.  Radio stations are regular businesses, but they aren't run like any business I've ever encountered.  The number of potential sexual harassment lawsuits are HIGH given that they can say pretty much whatever they want, whenever they want, and hell, they can drink on the job.  It's rare that you find that, though I've heard of several other major companies that allow it (hello, Sponsor Shots and Beer Fridays, complete with taxi cabs on call to take drunkards home in the afternoons).  Let me get off my soapbox about that, though, since that's not why I'm writing this!  My point is that radio is weird, and even though that's Hubby's dream career, it's going to be a tough road to get him to a point where he's working at a station full-time.

Even if Hubby lands somewhere other than radio, I just hope it's doing a job that he's happier with.  Nothing makes me sadder than seeing the man I love go to work everyday, to a place where I know he's going to be miserably unhappy.  It would be even better if Hubby could find a job that pays him more, but I'm not going to push my luck.  I'll just be happy with a job that pays the bills and makes Hubby happy.  And I mean that.

Wish us luck as we press on and see where this whole thing takes us!

2 comments:

Elizabeth Gilmore said...

I am sorry for the bad news. Hopefully this will lead to something bigger & better for both of you.

Best wishes,

e

Krystal said...

Hello! Thanks for entering my giveaway and I'm now following you. Not to be a creeper but do I *know* you? LOL I used to live in Tapa, used to work in radio, email me -- let's chat! :D


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved