Sunday, October 23, 2011

We Pulled Landscaping Duty

Last weekend, I put Hubby to work and we relandscaped 2 areas in front of our condo.  Hubby was NOT pleased about having to do manual labor, but I told him that was part of being a husband--doing stuff for your wife that you don't want to do but know will make her a happy camper.

I've lived in my condo for a little more than 6 years.  This was my single girl pad, and it was bought with only me and my puppy Bella in mind.  It's pretty tiny but efficient, and I figured I'd be here for 3-5 years, tops.  Fast foward to today, and I'm married with TONS of crap (from combining two households, of course) and living in a place that I thought was a temporary stop-over to a house.   Since I'm underwater in this place, however, it looks like we'll be living here a tad longer than expected.  With this in mind, I've been making improvements to the place, both inside and out, so that it's liveable for me.  This means re-doing the awful (almost non-existent) landscaping in front of this place. 

When I moved into this 1st floor condo, the grounds in front of the front door and under the kitchen window were bare dirt.  Apparently my neighbors didn't care about how our homes looked from the curb, but I defintely do.  I added some landscaping and it looked good for a number of years.  After a very hard winter and lots of plant-killing frost a couple years ago, my landscaping was pretty well shot.  At the time I didn't have the extra money to invest in re-doing everything, so it just sat there, looking ugly.  Now that Hubby and I are married and we're a 2 income household, we have the cash to do what I wanted.  And now we don't look like THOSE neighbors who have shabby yards and don't give a shit. 
Here's the fruits of our labor from last Sunday:
Before:

Ah, the disgustingness of bare dirt, half-dead plants and washed out mulch.  Now you can see why I HAD to do something drastic about the plant situation.
After:



So much better!  Healthy, colorful plants, an abundance of mulch and no bare dirt ANYQWHERE.  LOVE IT.  I even left my elderly next door neighbors lawn ornament (yes, it's a frog wearing a sombrero--too kitschy to not laugh about) sitting in our new bed of fabulousness.  She was thrilled!  In case you're wondering, we left the landscaping a little on the sparse side on purpose.  We want to give the plants room to grow AND leave a little space so we can see between them.  Weird shit likes to live in the plants here, so I want to see anything that's hiding out.

All in all, a good, sweaty effort with great results.  Now I can breathe a sigh of relief.

1 comment:

Aspiring Kennedy said...

haha... oh happy gilmore. good reference. :)


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved