Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Fabulous Holiday Blog Challenge - Day 2



So it's day two of Amber and Neely's blog challenge, and today's topic is:  Favorite Holiday Tradition New or Old.

So I don't come from a family with many big traditions, but we do have a few.  We watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation on Thanksgiving night to kick off a merry holiday season, we bake loads of cookies and fudge and buckeyes (the list goes on and on), and I listen to my favorite Christmas music while baking and wrapping gifts. 

But my absolute favorite tradition is having our big family holiday celebration on Christmas Eve.  We listen to holiday music, eat an irresponsible amount of food and kick back loaded cocktails while opening presents.  It's a truly magical affair.  When my sister and I's husbands joined us for our family Christmas celebration (during the same year, no less), they were in awe of 1.) the crazy amount of food, 2.) the INSANE pile of presents known in our world as "Mount Christmas" (because it looks like a mountain of gifts), and 3.) the sheer joy we felt by being together as a family on that night.  It's literally the best night of the whole year.
This year will also be fantastico, but we will be having markedly fewer gifts than in past years.  We have all decided to spend less this year, since Pete and I are working hard at paying off some bills, and my sister and her husband are just about to purchase their first house.  The same festivities will remain, though, because Christmas isn't just about presents.  It's about family, togetherness, love and celebration.

2 comments:

Becca Christensen said...

Hey! First off, thanks for stopping by my blog and for your comment about my budgeting post yesterday! I'm hoping to offer a little more budgeting insight moving into 2012...I've been lax lately.

Love this post. My families doesn't have a whole lot of traditions but I love that we have a few and that we spend holidays together! : ]

Love,
B

Julia Miller said...

I love buckeyes! We dont have much traditions either but the little one we have I love.
Thanks for sharing.


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved