Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Super Stress and Baking Debacles

I've been absent over the past week or so, and not at all because I don't want to blog, but because I have been CRAZY busy.  Work has been beyond nutty, and I've been slammed all. day. long. Every day for the past 3 weeks.  I judge the busyness of my day by whether or not I have a chance to check my personal email at least once from work.  I didn't get a chance to check it at all over the past couple of days, and tonight I ended up with over 400 emails to sift through.  (sigh)  I just keep repeating... One thing at a time... Breathe...

In the midst of the madness, I remembered that there is going to be a fall themed potluck at work tomorrow.  I told them I'd bring pumpkin cookies, but completely forgot until tonight.  I had planned on bringing these pumpkin snickerdoodles I found on A Bitchin Kitchen, and I knew I'd better get crackin' or else I'd be baking at 2 am. 

This what the girls at A Bitchin Kitchen's pumpkin snickerdoodles looked like:


 
I started baking at 9:00 tonight, and quickly realized that I didn't have any butter softened, so I knew I'd have to do one of two things:  put 2 sticks of butter on the stove while it preheats (my cheat) or send Pete to the grocery store to buy me a tub of soft margarine.  I decided to send Pete, the amazing husband that he is, out to the store before they closed.  He came back with the margarine, and I resumed baking.  I then realized that I was out of eggs (apparently Pete ate them all over the weekend while I was in Orlando and I never noticed they were gone), so Pete came to my rescue again and went back to the store for more eggs.  Pete came back and reminded me of what a great guy he is (as if I needed the reminder), and I went back to my baking.  I whipped up the rest of the batter, then had to chill it for an hour.  When I pulled it out, the dough was still too sticky to roll into balls, so I stuck it in the freezer 15 minutes.  After that, it was finally ready to roll in the cinnamon, sugar and ginger mixture.  I baked the cookies for the recommended time, and pulled them out, and the didn't look done.  I baked them for another 3 minutes, and let them cool.  The looked exactly like the picture, so I couldn't wait to dig in. 

I decided, like any good baker should, to sample my handiwork.  And let me tell you, it was supremely disappointing!  I mean, the concept of a pumpkin snickerdoodle blows my mind.  I'd never met a pumpkin baked good that I didn't devour... until tonight.  These cookies tasted like cardboard--zero flavor of any kind!  I couldn't taste any of the spices or vanilla, and certainly no pumpkin.  BOOOOOO.  I never should have trusted a snickerdoodle recipe that didn't call for cream of tartar.  I simply cannot take these cookies to my work's potluck tomorrow.  I have a reputation to uphold--one known for amazing food and scrumptious yumminess.  These cookies are too gross and I don't want anyone at work to experience this level of disappointment.

SO, now I have to figure out what I'm doing about this potluck tomorrow.  I see a trip to Publix in my future.  Actually, I've got a meeting tomorrow (a monster 2-1/2 hour meeting, yuck) that overlaps the potluck so there's a chance that I won't even make it... or if I do, I'll be late as hell.  Maybe no one will notice that I half-assed it by bringing store bought treats... this girl hopes.

No comments:


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved