Monday, December 19, 2011

Christmas Cookie Recipe: Snickerdoodles

I can't fathom making holiday cookies every year without making Snickerdoodles.  I didn't always make them for Christmas (heck, I didn't even try snickerdoodles for the first time until 7 years ago), but once I started making them, they've had a home in my holiday baking lineup.  The cinnamon-sugaryness just feels so comforting around the holidays.

This is my snickerdoodle recipe, which comes from woman my sister used to work with at the City of St. Petersburg.  This was her family's long-time snickerdoodle recipe and they are soooo addictive!  I hope you enjoy them!


SNICKERDOODLES


  • 1 cup butter flavored shortening
  • 1-1/2 cup white sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp. cream of tartar
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  •  
  • 2 tbsp. white sugar
  • 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Cream together shortening, sugar and eggs in an electric mixer with a paddle attachment.  Blend in flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.   In a separate bowl, mix white sugar and cinnamon.  Shape dough into balls and roll in cinnamon-sugar mixture.  Place balls 2" apart on a baking sheet and bake for 7-8 minutes.  Let cool for 5 minutes before moving cookies to a cooling rack to finish cooling.  Store in an airtight container. 

These babies taste best within the first few days after baking, when they're fresh and sort of gooey (but not underdone) in the middle.  The recipe makes about 2 dozen cookies, so you may want to double the recipe if you think you'll want a bigger batch, and honestly, you'll probably want more than 2 dozen if you're planning to take cookies to parties or give them away as gifts.  Sometimes I use colored sugar for the coating if I want the cookies to look even more festive.  This year we kept it classic and went with white sugar.

I hope you enjoy them!

No comments:


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved