Monday, December 5, 2011

Fabulous Holiday Blog Challenge - Day 6

Happy Monday!  We're now squarely into the the month of December and time is flying by.  What else is new, right?  Well, it's Day 6 of Amber and Neely's Fabulous Holiday Blog Challenge, and OF COURSE I have to add my share.  Today's topic is:  Holiday Desert/Treat Recipes!


As some of you know, I'm an avid baker around the holidays, and my freezer, fridge and counters are always filled with treats each December.  I bake cookies, make fudge, whip up some chocolate covered pretzels, and MAKE BUCKEYES!!!  For those of you who don't know what Buckeyes are, they are basically chocolate-covered peanut butter balls, and they are SO much better than Reese's trees (though I'm sure Pete may disagree).  I tend to make a double batch because these things are gone in a New York minute.  No one can eat just one.  They're completely addictive.

Here's a pic I found of these online.  Mine look exactly the same (except mine have a hole in the middle where the toothpick is used to dip the balls), but I haven't made them yet this year.



Here's my Buckeye recipe, straight from my momma's house.

Ingredients:
1-1/2 cups creamy peanut butter (I perfer Jif)
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 lb. confectioners sugar
1 12 oz. package chocolate chips (I prefer semi-sweet)
2 tbsp. shortening

Directions:
Prepare a baking sheet lined with wax paper.
Mix peanut butter, butter and vanilla together until well-blended using an electric mixer.  Slowly beat in confectioners sugar, a little at a time, until completely combined.  This should be a firm dough.  If yours is a little sticky, you can refrigerate it for 30 minutes until it firms up.  Roll peanut butter mixture into 1" balls and place each on the wax paper-lined baking sheet.  Refrigerate peanut butter balls for 30 minutes-1 hour until firm.

Place chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds.  Stir, then microwave for another 30 seconds.  Repeat until chocolate chips are fully melted.

Insert a toothpick into the peanut butter ball and dip into melted chocolate.  Dip so that the bottom 3/4 of the ball is covered, leaving the top of the peanut butter ball uncovered.  Place dipped peanut butter ball on wax paper-lined baking sheet and remove toothpick.  Repeat until all peanut butter balls have been dipped in chocolate.  You may have to microwave the chocolate mid-way through dipping if the chocolate begins to harden.  Refrigerate until the chocolate hardens.  Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.

YUM!  I'm salivating just thinking about these things.  They are super easy to make, so you don't have any excuse not to try them (including that silly diet excuse, it's the holidays for cryin' out loud).  I hope you enjoy my Buckeyes!

2 comments:

Monica said...

Yum! Don't you wish you could get yours to come out like the picture? I am always complaining about that!

Victoria said...

i LOVE these :)

cute blog!! i am a twin also!


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved