Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Fabulous Holiday Blog Challenge - Day 7

It's Tuesday in the big city, folks, and it's also Day 7 of the Fabulous Holiday Blog Challenge!  (Cue crowds cheering with unencumbered excitement)  Today's topic is.... How do YOU celebrate the Holidays?

For us, the holiday season kicks off each year after Thanksgiving by watching National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.  We need an exterior illumination-crazed Chevy Chase to usher in the Christmas season, as well as many hearty belly laughs.  Our Christmas season also involves a lot of Christmas music and holiday movies.  LOTS of them.  Like it's kind of obscene how many Christmas movies and CDs we enjoy every year.  But music/movie gluttony is a good thing to me!

DECORATING:  Pete and I put up our Christmas tree on the weekend after Thanksgiving every year.  This is our fourth Christmas together, and every year we have the best time decorating our tree.  Usually this involves me accidentally dropping fragile ornaments and Pete gluing them back together in the ornament surgical ward (aka the kitchen).  Pete always puts them back together like a champ.  While we put up the tree, we listen to Christmas music (I sing along).  We decorate the rest of the house, minus the bedrooms, and make our home a Christmas wonderland.

SHOPPING:  I love to do excessive amounts of shopping to celebrate the holidays.  It's a "one for you, one for me" kind of deal, where I come home with presents for everyone on my list, plus a bunch of things for myself.  I get caught up in shopping and can't help myself.  Oops!

BAKING:  I bake up a storm.  Pure and simple.  This year, I'm going to be joined in baking by my amazing sister and my awesome friend Jess.  We always have so much fun baking together!  Kelly and I will be making some sugar cookies, snickerdoodles, peanut blossoms and probably some chocolate covered pretzels.  With Jess, we'll be making gingerbread cookies, jam thumbprints, and whatever else Jess and I come up with.  I'll be making buckeyes and fudge, but I'm not sure if I'll be doing that solo or with one of the girls.  Either way, my freezer and fridge are going to be chock full of sugary goodness.

CELEBRATING:  My family celebrates Christmas by feasting and opening gifts on Christmas Eve.  We love this tradition, which stems from the years of my youth when my parents hosted our big extended-family Christmas on Christmas Day, and my mom hated to have to clean up a big present-mess before guests came over. We started doing gifts on Christmas Eve to give my mom ample time to clean up after us kids and get the house back to a civilized state (i.e. looking like a museum).  We have kept the tradition going, and we now use Christmas day as a day to relax, eat yet another big celebratory meal (as if we needed one more), and watch Christmas movies.

Do you celebrate the holidays in any special ways?

No comments:


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved