Friday, December 9, 2011

It's time for a Christmas Survey!

I'm borrowing this from Holly over at Perfectly Imperfect.  I've always been a big fan of surveys.  When I was a kid, I'd make up random surveys and send them to my pen pals (yes, I had several penpals in different countries and wrote actual handwritten letters to them until I went off to college).  I loved seeing the answers of someone to see how different or similar they were to me. When the internet first came about in the mid-90s, there were a lot of email surveys floating around which went out to everybody and their brother.  I admit to completing and forwarding my fair share of them because I love doing them and seeing everyone's answers.  And now, in 2011, I'm sharing one on my blog.  My, how modern of me!

Here's a fun Christmas survey to celebrate this lovely and festive time of year...

1. Eggnog or hot chocolate? Hot chocolate!  I grew up on this stuff and it never gets old.  Eggnog isn't bad though.  I tried eggnog for the first time when I met Pete four years ago.  I was always told that it was disgusting, but I actually liked it when it was spiked with Captain Morgan's.  Yummy.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree?  Santa ALWAYS wraps presents.  Half the fun of Christmas is wrapping and unwrapping gifts, so why would I deprive myself or others of that joy?

3. Colored lights or white?  We have white lights on our tree, and although it looks very nice, I prefer colored lights.   They just seem more festive. But have you noticed that it's nearly impossible to find a pre-lit tree with colored lights?  Yeah.  So we have white lights.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? Yes, I have a ball of faux mistletoe hanging from the back of my front door.  It looks looks pretty hanging there, but the location is pretty impractical.  We just don't have anywhere else to hang it.

5. When do you decorate for Christmas? The weekend after Thanksgiving.  Last year I waited until the first weekend in December and I just felt like I was cheating myself out of a full month of festive decor.  So back to Thanksgiving weekend it was.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish, excluding dessert?  Excluding dessert... hmm... It's either green bean casserole or sweet potato casserole.  I just can't decide right now.

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child?  It has to be the year that I got this really awesome snow sled from Santa.  I ran out of my bedroom, woke my sister and parents up, and sprinted to the living room to begin opening the presents that Santa left.  After I opened all of my gifts, I looked up and saw a big brown box sitting in the hallway near the foyer.  I asked my mom what it was, and she gave my dad a strange look.  And she said that it must be from Santa.  I had them help me open the box, and it was a crazy-awesome red sled.  This thing looked sleek and fast, and it came with a brake and a headlight--gotta love a sled with safety features!  After we got it out of the box, I noticed that there was a UPS shipping label on the box, so I asked my dad was that was for.  After all, if Santa brought it, what was it doing with a UPS label?  My dad told me that it was too big to fit in Santa's sled, so he had to have UPS help him deliver it.  They said UPS must have delivered it while we were sleeping.  I was a so gullible and completely believed it.  But man, I LOVED that sled.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? When I was 8 or 9, I lost one of my baby teeth and put it out on my nightstand so the tooth fairy could come while I slept.  I woke up and the tooth was still sitting by my bedside, nary a dollar to be found.  I was so upset that the tooth fairy didn't come!  When I went to tell my mom, I noticed a dollar bill sitting out on my parents' dresser.  My mom told me that the tooth fairy wasn't real, and that they had forgotten to give me my dollar.  So I asked, "What about Santa and the Easter Bunny?" and my mom said "Not real either."  I was SO disappointed.  I wasn't mad at my parents, but disappointed that the fun of these holidays was going to be ruined.  Thankfully, these holidays weren't really ruined at all, but I thought of them differently.

9. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? Well there are white lights, and I use red ribbon and gold star garland to dress it up.  Then I load the tree with ornaments.  I like every space to be filled, and I like my favorite ornaments to go in the front.  We top the tree with a gold-lighted star.

10. Snow. Love it or hate it?  I love snow, especially at the holidays!  That's the bad thing about living in Florida.  You have to get used to never having a White Christmas.

11. Can you ice skate? I used to go ice skating all the time when I was in junior high and high school, but I haven't been ice skating in at least 15 years.  I'm sure I'd be a total klutz after all this time.

12. Do you remember your favorite gift? I had a few favorite gifts. First, my Barbie Dream House.  I was so enamored with that house and probably pestered my parents about it for months. The Christmas when I came to the living room and saw it sitting there from Santa was truly memorable.  Second, Cabbage Patch Kid Pony.  My grandma bought it for me one year and it was the gift I had wanted the most.  Third, the TV for my room.  It was just a little 13" TV, but it represented freedom to me.  I FINALLY was able to watch whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, and wasn't stuck watching the news and 20/20 every night.  I felt liberated.

13. What is the most important thing about the holidays to you? Definitely being with my family and friends.  Togetherness is my top priority at this time of year.  That's why doing things like shopping and baking just don't feel the same without my family and friends helping me.  That's why I'm so excited to be baking with Kelly and Jess this year!

14. What is your favorite holiday dessert? Most definitely pumpkin pie!  With Cool Whip!

15. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Opening presents with my family on Christmas Eve.  We always have the best time, and everyone gets along. YAY!

16. What tops your tree? A gold lit star

17. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving? Giving, because I love seeing someone's face when they open their presents from me.  I always feel like I did a good job and made someone else's day more special.

18. What is your favorite Christmas song? White Christmas by Bing Crosby epitomizes the Christmas holiday season.  I grew up watching White Christmas every year with my family, and it's still one of my favorite movies.  I just find this song so comforting.

19. Candy canes. Yuck or yum? Yum!  I like candy canes, but I only like one or two.  More than that is overkill.

Take the survey and let me know how you love to enjoy the holidays!

No comments:


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved