Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Monday Madness - A Baking Episode

Monday night I got together with my amazing friend Jess and her mom to bake MORE Christmas cookies (are there ever really enough around the holidays?). Jess and I baked together last year, and we had so much fun that we decided to make it a tradition.  This year Jess's mom was visiting, so we had a third baking partner and it worked out great! 

We made Cowboy Cookies, Chocolate Chocolate Chip Peppermint cookies, and we rolled, baked and decorated my sugar cookie recipe.  Jess had never made cutout cookies before, so this was a first experience with rolling and cutting dough, as well as frosting and decorating.  It's super time consuming and a lot of work, but the end product is completely worth it--they're so cute and tasty!

Here are a few pictures from our evening in cookiedom:

 Here we are.  I'm not covered in spatterings of dough yet, but I will be in about a half hour.  We had just finished making the Chocolate Chocolate Chip Peppermint cookies, and to be honset, they were a bit of a dud.  They were super flat (like wafer-thin) and very chewy.  Just not my favorite texture for a cookie.  The peppermint flavor was great, though.  Next we made Cowboy Cookies, which are essentially oatmeal cookies with coconut, raisins and chocolate chips.

The Cowboy Cookies, ready to go into our piping hot oven.  I'll post the recipe to these later this week.

After the Cowboy Cookies, we swiftly moved along to the sugar cookies.  Jess has granite counterops (lucky girl) and the wood cutting board kept sliding around, so we put a sheet of rubber cupboard liner down underneath it and it didn't budge.  What a great idea Jess's mom had!

After we rolled and baked the sugar cookies, we frosted and decorated them.  My pictures didn't really come out of this activity--the lighting was weird and my flash didn't make an appearance.  What my camera did capture was the end result, which was the sugar cookies setting in the fridge (so the frosting would harden faster).

What a fun time we had!  It was 10:30 pm when I left Jess's house and I was pooped.  I couldn't wait to climb into bed and get some shut-eye.  Jess and I didn't get around to making the jam thumbprints or the gingerbread men, so that was disappointing, but we did make some amazing cookies.  I think that's it for my cookie baking this year, and I'm proud of everything I've produced this year!

No comments:


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved