Thursday, January 19, 2012

My Sister, The Enabler

For Christmas, my wonderful sister bought me a fantastic present:  a Birchbox subscription!  For those who don't know, Birchbox is a service that sends you a box of premium product samples each month, and you subscribe to the service sort of like a magazine.  It's 10 bucks a month, and it's exactly the kind of frivolous thing I've been wanting for so long, but just haven't felt right about buying for myself.  I was ridiculously excited to get this subscription for Christmas!

What's also important to note here is that I sort of have a sample problem,and my sister just became a full-fledged enabler.  Well, samples and trial sizes... products in miniature, essentially.  I love, love, love to try products before I buy them, and I feel like trying new products makes me a smarter consumer because I'm informed about what I like and don't like, and what I need and don't need.  I also used to work at a Bath and Body Works flagship store, which sold a great variety of high-end skincare and body products in addition to the normal BBW fare, and the brand reps would always shower us with a ridiculous number of samples and trial sizes so we could provide testimonials.  This has resulted in me amassing a huge number of product samples.  The last thing I need is more samples... but I just can't help myself with Birchbox.  It's like it was made for me.

Here's my latest Birchbox delivery...


It was actually a pretty good variety of samples.  I got the following little treats:
  • Befine Night Cream
  • Juicy Couture Fragrance
  • VMV Hypoallergenics Re-Everything Eye Serum
  • Zoya Nailpolish in Megan
  • Larabar

The eye cream is actually in the little pump bottle, and it's a very generously sized sample.  It will last a long time and give me a great idea of how it works when used regularly.  The nailpolish is actually a grayish lavender color, which looks really cute for winter.  I'm not usually a huge fan of night creams because they tend to get greasy (and I have an oil slick on my face when I wake up in the morning), but I'll give this one a try.  It could pleasantly surprise me.

I admit that when I see other peoples' Birchboxes, I get a little jealous.  There are a number of different sample sets that are sent out, so I may not get the same samples as a friend of mine who also subscribes.  It's great to see what everyone's getting, but when they get cool samples you wish you got, it can lead to a little sample envy.  It's all in good fun, though.

Tonight, for giggles, I got out my stash of samples, and it confirmed for me that I have way too many of these.  I think it's time to clean out or give away the samples I'm not positive that I'll use.  I'm sure there are needy beauty-philes somewhere that would be stoked to have them.

Those are two big, beautiful baskets full of fun.  I have all of my samples sorted by type, in plastic bags marked with the type, like "Body Cream and Body Butter" or "Toner".  It makes searching for something specific so much easier.

Does anyone else get really excited about product samples?  Please tell me I'm not alone!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

So jealous of you right now!!!

KMoody said...

OMG I'm so glad to be your enabler -- that's what twin sisters are for! :) I also love your heaping baskets of product stuff! So fun!


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved