I'm not one to make resolutions, because then I feel like a failure if I don't make good on it. Instead, I've chosen to set goals for myself; things that I certainly want to accomplish and will make a good effort at, but I won't beat myself up constantly if I haven't met the goal by the end of the year. When thinking about my goals, I was overwhelmed by the "what ifs" and seemingly endless list of to-do's. When I get overwhelmed, I become paralyzed by the volumes of things to do and I end up doing nothing. And it shows. I want this year to be different. I want to make headway on several important things that I know will set Pete and I up for a great life ahead. Here are my goals for 2012...
- The standards--eating healthier and exercising more. Weight loss will inevitably come if I can accomplish these things.
- Organizing my casa. This needs to happen, stat. I need to clear out clutter and improve my home in the ways that will make me the most proud.
- Be a better Mom to Bella. She deserves more long walks, more love and more snuggles. I want her older years to be her best years.
- Make new friends. I'm not talking about replacing my existing friends (duh, of course not, they're amazing!), just expand my group of friends and build more professional connections.
- Work on improving brevity and restraint with details. I am a storyteller by nature, and I want to tell someone EVERYTHING about a story. I want to be a better editor of my thoughts.
- Reading more. There are so many books I'd like to read, so I need to revive the concept of leisure reading and do it more.
- Save more money. Yup, we're really gonna do it this year.
- Being so nice to everyone, even people who totally don't deserve it. I can still be polite without being passive, and I can get my thoughts across in a way that seems informed and credible.
- Thinking about the woulda, shoulda, couldas. This is just destructive thinking altogether. I want to move foward with my life and not dwell on what might have been. My focus will be on making the future the best possible one for our family.
- Saving stuff "just because". I will only be keeping things I need or feel strongly about. I'm not a packrat, so my house should reflect that.
- Deferring work on my home. My home deserves better. I just need to stop being lazy about doing the hard stuff. This means painting, caulking and all sorts of elbow grease.
- My work toward not being a doormat. I've been making some good headway, but I want to keep it going into the new year. I'm not a pushover and I shouldn't give people the impression that I am by being so agreeable to everything.
- Supporting my family. I want to be a great wife, daughter, sister and daughter-in-law.
- Cutting back on the swearing. I've been trying to do this since last year, and I'm getting better. I swear for emphasis, not because I don't know any better words to use, but this doesn't make my cursing right. I'm learning to use the awesome vocabulary all those years of education afforded me.
- Working on my blog. It's a work in progress and I'm getting there. I want to focus on having fun with it and documenting the wonderful things I experience in life.
This list gives me so much to look forward to. I have a feeling it's going to be a stupendous year!