Saturday, January 7, 2012

New Year, New Goals

I'm now about a week into 2012, and I've had a few days to think about the year ahead.  This year is pretty much a blank slate for me.  I have nothing definitively planned, it leaves me wondering what the hell this year's really going to look like.  The last two years have been huge years for me, with getting engaged, getting married, going on a great honeymoon and watching my twin sister get married, and I can only hope the excitement keeps on going. 

I'm not one to make resolutions, because then I feel like a failure if I don't make good on it.  Instead, I've chosen to set goals for myself; things that I certainly want to accomplish and will make a good effort at, but I won't beat myself up constantly if I haven't met the goal by the end of the year.  When thinking about my goals, I was overwhelmed by the "what ifs" and seemingly endless list of to-do's.  When I get overwhelmed, I become paralyzed by the volumes of things to do and I end up doing nothing.  And it shows.  I want this year to be different.  I want to make headway on several important things that I know will set Pete and I up for a great life ahead.  Here are my goals for 2012...

Start
  • The standards--eating healthier and exercising more.  Weight loss will inevitably come if I can accomplish these things.
  • Organizing my casa.  This needs to happen, stat.  I need to clear out clutter and improve my home in the ways that will make me the most proud.
  • Be a better Mom to Bella.  She deserves more long walks, more love and more snuggles.  I want her older years to be her best years.
  • Make new friends.  I'm not talking about replacing my existing friends (duh, of course not, they're amazing!), just expand my group of friends and build more professional connections.
  • Work on improving brevity and restraint with details.  I am a storyteller by nature, and I want to tell someone EVERYTHING about a story.  I want to be a better editor of my thoughts.
  • Reading more.  There are so many books I'd like to read, so I need to revive the concept of leisure reading and do it more.
  • Save more money.  Yup, we're really gonna do it this year.

Stop
  • Being so nice to everyone, even people who totally don't deserve it.  I can still be polite without being passive, and I can get my thoughts across in a way that seems informed and credible.
  • Thinking about the woulda, shoulda, couldas.  This is just destructive thinking altogether.  I want to move foward with my life and not dwell on what might have been.  My focus will be on making the future the best possible one for our family.
  • Saving stuff "just because".  I will only be keeping things I need or feel strongly about.  I'm not a packrat, so my house should reflect that.
  • Deferring work on my home.  My home deserves better.  I just need to stop being lazy about doing the hard stuff.  This means painting, caulking and all sorts of elbow grease.
  •  
    Continue
  • My work toward not being a doormat.  I've been making some good headway, but I want to keep it going into the new year.  I'm not a pushover and I shouldn't give people the impression that I am by being so agreeable to everything. 
  • Supporting my family.  I want to be a great wife, daughter, sister and daughter-in-law.
  • Cutting back on the swearing.  I've been trying to do this since  last year, and I'm getting better.  I swear for emphasis, not because I don't know any better words to use, but this doesn't make my cursing right.  I'm learning to use the awesome vocabulary all those years of education afforded me.
  • Working on my blog.  It's a work in progress and I'm getting there.  I want to focus on having fun with it and documenting the wonderful things I experience in life.


This list gives me so much to look forward to.  I have a feeling it's going to be a stupendous year!


No comments:


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved