Monday, March 26, 2012

Our Li'l DIY Project

The hubs and I have been talking a lot lately about our longer term plans in our home.  We'd like to stay here for another 2-3 years, having one child here before moving to a larger home for baby #2.  Our current home, a small 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom condo, is sufficient for just us, but will be really tight with a baby.  We think we can handle living in tight quarters for awhile though, while we save up for the house we really want.

One of the things we had to figure out was how we were going to create more room in the kitchen.  Our kitchen is very small and we don't have a ton of cabinet space.  Hubs suddenly had the great idea of converting the closet next to our kitchen into a pantry.  I can't believe I never thought of that!  (He claims that he posed this option to me awhile ago, but I said no.  I have absolutely no recollection of this.  I think he's making it up.)  This particular closet had always been used as a coat closet, which isn't the most worthwhile use of space considering that we only wear coats for a few weeks a year.  We live in Florida, after all.  A pantry would give us real, usable space that will make having an extra person here a distinct possibility.

We started with me removing everything from the closet, then thoroughly cleaning the walls and floor.  The dust bunnies I found in the back were HUGE.  Yuck.  After I cleaned it, we removed the closet rod.


We then installed an adjustable shelving system with basic wire shelves.  It was important for us to be able to change the spacing between the shelves as our needs evolve.  We're practical like that.  Or non-committal.  How about both.


My man with the tools of the trade: a drill and a beer. 

The finished closet.  Everything's sturdy, level and clean.  Yay!

I topped this off with an epic trip to Sam's Club to stock this bad boy up.  A full, organized pantry is a beautiful thing!  Never mind the top shelf, which is still a work in progress.

Having a pantry is a small thing to some people, but it means a lot to us and the longer-term potential of our home.  I'm so glad we could make a simple improvement that will help us so much.  It also makes me glad to have a husband who's good with power tools! 

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Looks great, I love having a pantry!

Becca Christensen said...

What an amazing idea...and it looks great.

Missed you Friday but I'd love to grab fro yo maybe one day next week?


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved