Wednesday, April 18, 2012

A Few Words on Entitlement

Entitlement is a bitch.

Today, I came across two situations where people had huge issues with entitlement.  They feel like the world owes them something simply for being.  It's all about what's in it for them, what they deserve, what they're owed.  They are angry at the The Man for not giving them what they feel is their fair share, and they get mad at people who are actually there to help them.  I've never met such selfish people in all of my life, until now.  And guess what?  They're all miserable and unhappy.

Well I have news for those who feel entitled.  The world doesn't owe anyone anything.  We all get what we earn.  There are a fortunate few who are born into money, or happen to win the lottery, or were born a Kardashian, or whatever, and they end up getting something for nothing.  But those people are completely in the minority and are not realistic examples of what real people need to do to be successful.

I learned a long time ago that my success depends on me and what I put into my life.  Hard work, perseverence, a good heart and a strong measure of sweat will make wonderful things happen for me.  No one owes me a better performance evaluation rating, a bigger raise, or promotion.  If I want it, I have to earn it, then when I get it, I have to prove to my boss that I'm worth it.  No one owes me a free house or my parents' bank account.  There is no "Show Me The Money" clause in life.  I realize that I'm the master of my own fate, and my life is what I make of it, not what I deserve from other people.

I feel sorry for people who feel entitled, because I feel like they're setting themselves up for a lifetime of disappointment.  Instead of working hard, they blame others mercilessly for what they don't have.  It's always someone else's fault.  People have a difficult time taking ownership of their own actions, but once they do, great things happen and they have that 'a-ha' moment.  The lightbulb goes off and they say, "Hold on, you mean if I had just done X, Y and Z all along I could have had this outcome years ago?"  Why YES, that's true.

I strive to never, ever feel entitled.  I'm thankful for my blessings and love knowing that I've earned what I have. 

Honestly, my belief that God or the universe or the Flying Spaghetti Monster (or whatever you believe in) will reward us for our faith and gratitude keeps me going and striving for more each day.  You may never be the richest or thinnest or prettiest person you know, but you'll be happy.  And that's worth far more than any material possession or number on the scale could be.

3 comments:

KMoody said...

I love this. I've been needing some inspiration today, so thank you! :)

Jill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jill said...

Very interesting! I enjoyed it! Life happens, you get a deck of cards and YOU have to decide what to do with what your given NOT someone else. Life life to your own drum beat! :)


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved