Saturday, April 14, 2012

Reading for Pleasure

I've long admired people who read books for pleasure.  Growing up, I was one of those people who couldn't get enough of reading.  I became engrossed in stories and fell in love with characters like they were my real friends.  I was always buying new books and running home to read them immediately, plowing through them swiftly to appease my hunger for learning and immersing myself in interesting tales.

When I went to college, everything changed.  I was suddenly reading A LOT, and most of the reading was neither particularly interesting nor pleasurable.  I stopped reading for pleasure because I was doing everything I could to keep up with the reading for my classes.  This continued through grad school, where I became completely burnt out on reading.  Looking back, a lot of the burnout came from the type of materials I was reading--books and articles on heavy, business-driven topics.  The material was dry, it was starch and it did little to stoke the fires of my imagination.

About 5 years ago, a friend of mine let me borrow some chick lit books, and I absolutely loved them!  But at that time, I was swamped at work, just finishing grad school and my sister just moved in with me.  My time for reading was slim to none, but I managed to read some of my chick lit books here and there, as well as some books by Suze Orman (she's crazy, but I love her financial philosophies).

At Christmas, I got a book that I wanted for Christmas, Mindy Kaling's "Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?"  I love her on The Office and she has a great blog, so I was sure I'd love her book, too.  I made a commitment to read a little bit every night before I went to bed, and it turned out to be just want I've needed for a long time.  I grown to look forward to reading every night, and I've managed to finish three books since January.

"Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?" by Mindy Kaling
"The Book of Drugs" by Mike Doughty
"Twilight" by Stephenie Meyer

Yes, you're seeing this right.  I FINALLY read "Twilight", meaning that I'm only 4 years behind everyone else!  Maybe I'll get around to reading the Hunger Games series in 2014 (hopefully not!).

Look at me, reading for fun!!  I feel so amazing that I've been able to keep it up!
So, for those of you who are readers, what books do you recommend that I read next?  I need your suggestions!  I've been out of the reading game for too long and I'm not sure which authors are hot right now.  I love books on finances and budgeting, anything funny (someone recently told me that Chelsea Handler has written some funny books... true?), and anything with a great story.  I'm open to ideas (unless it's "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter"... no thanks).

Thank you mucho for your recommendations!!

1 comment:

Nichole said...

I used to read a lot more too. Now that I have a nook color, I don't have a real excuse anymore since my husband bought me the thing and all! I jsut read BossyPants by Tina Fey; it was very funny and a fast read. I also read The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks (in preperation for the movie) and loved it as well. Happy Reading!


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved