Monday, April 2, 2012

Yum-Yums: Couscous Salad

I haven't posted a recipe in awhile, but I cook all the time and have some awesome recipes to share!  One of my favorite things to make in the spring and summer (or any time of year, really) is my Couscous Salad.  I didn't get this recipe from a book or a tv show, which is my usual M.O.  My sister and I came up with this puppy on our own, and it's a-frickin'-mazing.  I swear.  I wouldn't steer you wrong.

I call this Couscous Salad because I haven't thought of a better name for it.  It's sort of salad-ish, and it has couscous, among all sorts of deliciousness.  If you can come up with something more clever, let me know!  I'm all ears. 

Kari's Couscous Salad
1 box whole grain wheat couscous, original plain (I used Near East)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Juice from 1 lemon
1/2 cup chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
1 tub feta cheese (I used reduced fat)
1 cup pine nuts
1/2 cup golden raisins (or dried apricots)
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

When I make this, I usually make a double batch because it's gone so quickly.  It literally gets inhaled.  Thankfully, it keeps for up to a week in the fridge, if you have enough self control to let is stick around for that long.


There's some chopping involved here.  It really helps you hone your knife skills (at least this is what I tell myself so the task doesn't seem so arduous).  I started by slicing the green onions, and dropped them into a measuring cup to set them aside.

Next, take your bunch of parsley and rip the tops off (grab each end and twist to snap the stems).  

Chop, chop, chop, until your parsley pieces are a desired size. 
I like my parsley pieces pretty small, so I chop a lot.  Drop those into the measuring cup too.


Next, toast your pine nuts over low heat.  I toast them just until they turn a nice golden brown and become fragrant.



While your pine nuts are toasting, put the feta cheese on your cutting board and chop it finely.  If you prefer big hunks of feta, by all means, leave them big.  I just prefer more small pieces, ensuring that I get feta in every bite.


Next, cook your couscous according to package directions.  Dump the cooked couscous into a mixing bowl, and begin the fun of assembling the salad!

Pour in the juicy-juice of one lemon...

Pour in your extra virgin olive oil and mix well.

Mix in your parsley and green onion and mix well again.



Aaaaannddd, mix in the toasted pine nuts and feta... looks yummy already!

Now mix in the raisins.  Now you've got the sweet and the salty... my stomach is growling just looking at this!



Here's the finished product, in all it's glory.  I'm taking some to lunch with me tomorrow!

Please don't be afraid to give this recipe a try. I was VERY hesitant to try this at first because I thought of couscous as weird-o ethnic food, and I assumed I'd never like it. (I felt that way about hummus too, and now I can't stop eating the stuff!) I also think the combination of ingredients sound a little bit strange, but they're totally harmonious together.  After trying it a few times and coming up with this recipe, my mind has been forever changed. It's SO good!  I just know you're going to love it too.

Toodles!

1 comment:

Lane R said...

I LOVE cous cous and make a similar cous cous salad only minus raisins and with tomatoes.


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved