Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Getting a Grip!

I have to admit that I've been remarkably undisciplined lately.  And when I'm undisciplined, that lack of general discipline spills over into all areas of my life:  my house needs a good scrubbing, my diet is out of control (diet? what diet?), my desk at work is a mess, my car resembles Pig Pen, and my ironing pile is the size of Mt. Fiji.  {sigh} 

About a week ago I came to the realization that I need to get a grip, big time!  I have previously thrived under good amounts of self control and personal policing, and over the past year (since my wedding, pretty much), I've slowly let that slip away.  This realization didn't sneak up on me, it was gradual.  Lack of control this great doesn't happen overnight.  I made a general decision to try to be less uptight and controlling about things (an admirable goal right?), so I slacked on my chores have been feeling like I'm in a perpetual state of catch-up ever since. 

All this being said, my life is totally not a mess.  I've managed to keep my life together enough to maintain a solid, happy marriage, perform well at work, keep the house *clean enough* and care for a well-adjusted pet.  But I always have loftier goals.  I want a model home that is perfectly clean for more than just one day (not an easy feat with a husband on the loose).  I want to lose 40 lbs.  I really want a promotion at work.  I want, I want, I want.

I realize how selfish all of this is, wanting more and more for myself when there are so many other greater needs in the world.  But I'm of the mind that that if I don't take care of myself, I won't be able to care for other people or aspects of my life effectively.  Letting myself go is equally selfish, because I'm not keeping myself healthy enough to live a long and happy life with my future children.  I don't think I'm asking for too much.  Just a little more time and attention for myself, focused on things that really matter, for the sake of my future.

All this is well and good, but it's not like I can flip a magic switch and suddenly meet all of my goals overnight.  This chica is not a miracle worker!  But it starts with small things.  On Sunday, while I was stuck inside due to Tropical Storm Debby, I caught up on my couponing, put away laundry, sorted through a mountain of newspapers.  (My trash pile from that endeavor was spectacular!)  I came home from work last night, and immediately did laundry, did the dishes, and balanced my checkbook.  Boom.  Three boxes checked.  Tonight?  It's putting full-scale, ninja-style attack on my ironing pile, putting fresh bedsheets on the bed (who doesn't LOVE that??) and putting away the rest of my clean laundry.  Next up:  Working out!  Eating right!  Getting my pesky car washed! 

All in a day's work.

What are some goals that you're trying to reach right now?

No comments:


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved