Wednesday, June 27, 2012

I'm Right on Top of that, Rose!

Today, on my way to a very dull meeting extolling the virtues of spreadsheets, I overheard the most entertaining, delightful conversation.  Two women had movie tourrets and were spewing endless quotes from one of my favorite '90's movies, Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead!!


This movie endured endless hours of VCR play in the Roberts household when I was in my early teens. I have so many awesome memories of this movie.  It stars a young, just-off-Married-With-Children Christina Applegate and a cast of other '90s movie staples, including a foxy young Josh Charles.  Christina played Sue Ellen Crandell, a 17 year old whose mother goes to Australia for a summer and leaves her with an elderly babysitter on her deathbed.  As you can imagine, said babysitter croaks, and the money Sue Ellen's mother left for living expenses was in the babysitter's purse when she went to the morgue.  Naturally, Sue Ellen and her siblings don't want their mom to come home or to get another babysitter, so they pretend that the babysitter is still alive and kicking and hatch a plan for getting cash--send Sue Ellen to work!  Sue Ellen first gets a job at a fast food restaurant (where she meets her boy toy, the Josh Charles character), but hates the filth and decides to get an office job.  She creates a completely fictional resume and lands a sweet job as an executive assistant to a fashion exec, only to have her office nemesis discover her ruse and try to destroy her.  It's all such a juicy, ridiculous storyline, and I was glued to the tv watching this movie for an entire summer.

Some of my favorite quotes from the movie:

"I'm right on top of that, Rose!" (I still say this, but not very many people get the reference)

"Cynthia, you're my moon goddess."

"Don't feel overwhelmed, just do one thing at a time."

"Park it yourself, Metallica breath!"

"I have to get up at 5:30 every morning so I can beat rush hour traffic into the city and go sit behind a desk for eight hours a day and miss Oprah Winfrey every day on my summer vacation.  Then, I get to drive home in gridlock, in a Volvo, with no air conditioning just so I can take care of you guys and put food on the damn table!  It's a rat race and it sucks, Kenny. So what do you want, a medal?"


This is a stellar movie, ladies.  WATCH IT if you ever get a chance.  If nothing else, you can marvel at the early '90's fashion that's proudly displayed throughout. 

If you've seen it, what do you love most about the movie?

4 comments:

PrettyPhysicist said...

Haha, my favorite quote is "dishes are done man"

Nicole said...

LOVE the movie! My favorite part is the AMAZING clothes in the fashion show at the end!

KMoody said...

Let's not forget the classic line, "Mama Celeste face up, I go to work, Mama Celeste face down, we're selling carnations on a freeway off ramp."
Great memories of summertime movie watching!!

Nichole said...

Oh mannnn, I LOVED this movie when I was a kid


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved