Monday, July 9, 2012

Great Weekend & Renewed Perspective

Some weekends turn out to be just the weekend you need to put things in perspective.  Lately, I've been busily going through the motions of life, constantly feeling like I was behind or not living up to my goals and ambitions.  I tend to be the ambitious type, so feeling like I wasn't making progress was driving me crazy.

On Friday night, I had a revelation that I'd been thinking all wrong about things.  This life.  This place.  My goals.  Instead of thinking about what was going wrong, I needed to start thinking about all of the things that are going right.  And when I think about it, that's a LOT of things!  My life is full of beautiful things that I have a tendancy to overlook because I'm always striving for more.

I had a heart-to-heart about how I was feeling with Hubs, and he proved what a caring and supportive husband he is.  I've also been getting down on life here in Tampa, because it feels like I've been stuck in a rut here.  I've had the same job and same house for 7 years and I feel like I'm ready for the next challenge.  Because a new house is still a couple of years away and my job isn't going to be changing anytime soon, I decided that it was time to start appreciating Tampa and my overall life in this wonderful city.

It's really easy to take a place for granted when you've been living there for awhile.  I remember living in Michigan and saying what lucky ducks people are for getting to live in Florida, where the weather is beautiful and there's so much to do.  Then I moved here and slowly stopped appreciating this place and the blessings it's brought me.  The years I've spent in Tampa have been SO good!  Definitely the best years of my life.  I can't ever let myself forget that.  And Tampa's not a terrible place.  Just forget about the million strip clubs and the tourists;  this city has a ton to offer.

I had an absolutely amazing Saturday which helped put things into perspective.  Hubs went to work, and I worked on something for his birthday coming up this week.  We then had a late, lazy lunch at Whiskey Joe's, where we sat by the water, drank some ice cold, refreshing beer and had a tasty lunch (try their blackened fish tacos!).  We need to get out and enjoy the beautiful views more often!

Now THIS is a happy girl!
A view of a gorgeous beach...

...blue skies, clear water and sunshine!

Then Hubs and I did a little shopping, ran a bunch of errands and just enjoyed being together.  I love those days!  At night, we went to The Sandbar in St. Pete where we said goodbye to one of Pete's radio station co-workers, Lauren, who just accepted a job in Chicago.  She will be missed so much!  We had never been to The Sandbar, which was great (read: cheap beer), but the parking situation was less than ideal. 

On Sunday, we did our normal thing of sleeping late, going grocery shopping, doing laundry, and catching up on stuff around the house.  Totally relaxing.

Throughout Saturday and Sunday, I had some time to reflect and reminded myself that life doesn't have to be a game trying to top my past accomplishments.  I can just be happy with the life I've got right now, living in the moment, and keep striving for the things I really want in the next stage of my life (the new house, the ideal job, the family).  Trying to out-do myself isn't healthy, but I will eventually get the things that I want.  All in due time, as a natural progression.  But I do feel like I have more of an appreciation for our life than I did just a few days ago.  Yup, life is good!

I hope you all had an amazing weekend and have a terrific week ahead!

4 comments:

Becca Christensen said...

I love this post. I feel like I'm in such a similar place mentally - and I'm also very goals oriented and driven so it's hard to enjoy 'now' sometimes.

Can't wait to see you tonight.

B

Krystal said...

I totally miss Tampa and am jealous you still live there! ;) I don't miss the traffic and life is certainly less fast paced down here in the SWFL ... but I do miss it!

Nichole said...

I totally feel ya, chickie (even though I didn't want to move from Tampa!). Sometimes its nice to take in our town like tourists; I feel like I enjoy it more. See you Friday!

Sam said...

I love your perspective! I think we would all do better to take a minute and really look at our blessings, like you have.

Also, glad to hear you like Tampa! I'm going there in about a week! :)

Ps, left you a little somethin'-somethin' on my blog!


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved