Monday, July 30, 2012

July Birchbox vs. MyGlam

I had a total senior moment recently and completely forgot to post about my latest Birchbox and MyGlam bag finds!  What was I (not) thinking??  I am such a whore for these subscription services, but I know enough to stop at three (because my husband would disown me if he saw more than that come into the house every month).   A girl has to have limits.  Or so I hear.

I LURVE beauty products of all kinds, and this month's goodies were so much fun!  I would typically write separate posts to talk about the contents of each package, but I figure that I compare the two every month, so why not write it as I think it?

This month's Birchbox was good, but not great.  Once again, I see what others get in their boxes, and that familiar pang of jealousy washes over me.  It's amazing that my twin sister's preferences are set nearly identical to mine and we always get very different boxes.  And I ALWAYS want hers more.  I guess there isn't a magic formula to getting the boxes I want, but a girl can dream!  I'm sure you wanna know what I got...  and here ya go...


It just looks small and disappointing, right?  Well, there are a couple of gems.  Here's what I got:

Jouer Lip Gloss Mini
Earphones (neon pink and blue)
Tea Forte Minteas
Oscar De La Renta Live in Love perfume
Manna Kadar Sheer Glo Shimmer Lotion
Blinc Mascara

The Jouer lip gloss is a pretty peachy-pink shade, and it's a flattering shade on sunkissed skin.  I like that one, I'll keep it.  The earbuds are okay, but I'm not sure I'll use them much because my Apple earbuds work just fine.  The ODLR perfume is mostly floral, so I can't argue there.  That survives to be worn another day.  The Minteas are tea-flavored breathmints, which don't excite me at all.  Then again, I'm not much of a tea drinker, so the flavor is lost on me.  The shimmer lotion is meant for your face, to be mixed with a liquid foundation or dotted on as a highlighter.  It's fine, but I'm not sure I love it more than my Benefit High Beam.  The blinc mascara in black is actually pretty good.  It's the first tubing mascara I've tried, and it goes on pretty smoothly.  It also doesn't flake, so I'll definitely use it again!

Now, let's compare the MyGlam Bag for July. 


Here are the goods:

Bare Escentuals Buxon Lip Gloss in Leslie
Circus by Andrea's Choice Nail Color in Somersault
Yes to Cucumbers Soothing Facial Towelettes
Juice Beauty Green Apple SPF 15 Moisturizer
Nu Me Hydro Punch Hydrating Conditioner

This bag ROCKED!!!  Okay, let me contain my excitement a little and not go too crazy.  It's just a bunch of little products afterall.  To start, the products are far and away better than what I received in my Birchbox.  They're all generous sizes and things I'd actually buy in real life.  Score!  I even like the yellow nailpolish, which usually throws me for a loop.  I can't wait to try it on my toes!  The lip gloss is sheer and subtle, so it's good for a quick pick me up... and it tastes so yummy!  The Juice Beauty moisturizer is nice, not too sticky.  I wish it had a higher SPF for my fair skin, though.  The Yes to Cucumbers towelettes are nice and light, and super refreshing.  I'll buy more of these on my next Target run.  I haven't tried the conditioner yet, but I'll throw it in the shower to use with my Oscar Blandi clarifying shampoo.

The winner by a landslide is MyGlam!!  If you are skeptical about trying another subscription service, give MyGlam a try.  This was my second month and I was really impressed with the selection of products. I felt like I got more than $10 worth of value out of it, which is always my barometer of a good box/bag.

What did you think of this month's products from either MyGlam or Birchbox?

4 comments:

Asha said...

I recently unsubscribed from Birchbox due to being consistently disappointed and I always got the worst items too! But I agree, MyGlam is almost always amazing and I probably wouldn't have purchased yellow polish in real life but I love it now :)

K_stets said...

I love that yellow polish!! I was VERY impressed with the brand, I got white, but it was a thicker white and actually dried faster than I expected. I wish I would have gotten that gloss though, I got the lip stain which is a pink, and it makes my lips to pink, I'll have to go light.

But after looking at everything, I would agree with you. MyGlam kicks a$$1 ;)

The Cavallaro's said...

SOO jealous! I have been wanting to subscribe to one of those for soo long and still haven't gotten the guts to spend the $10 a month, but maybe I will after seeing your picks! I looved the MyGlam loot that you got this month, better than the Birchbox!

Brittany Belling said...

I love the idea of these subscriptions, but I can't justify the $10/month. This post makes me wish I could! Your blog is absolutely adorable by the way! I just love it!


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved