Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Best-Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies

It's time for me to confess something:  I'm a straight-up cookie snob.  I love, love, love cookies of all kinds, but I'm really picky about what I consider to be a GOOD cookie.  I like 'em soft, chewy and gooey.  Crunchy, crumbly, dry cookies are a total last resort for me.  They will only make their way to my mouth if I'm starving or being served by one of my near-and-dear family members, to whom I cannot say no. 

At work, people have brought in cookies and I think to myself, "That cookie looks like it will suck.  I'm not even going to try one to be polite.  I'll just tell them I'm back on my diet."  Usually the cookies are flat and over-baked, and in those cases, I'll usually pass unless I'm feeling some distinct peer pressure.  I just like what I like!  (Makes me sound like Sally from When Harry Met Sally, right?)  If I eat a lackluster cookie, I just feel like I wasted valuable calories/Weight Watchers points on something that wasn't worth it.  There's something to be said for being selective.

A few weeks ago, Hubs and I met my sister in West Palm Beach for the Dave Matthews Band show, and my sister brought the most amazing chocolate chip cookies to our tailg1-ate.  Hubs and I wound up taking them back to our hotel room after the show where we each ate 3 more cookies (they were small, but still, we ate 3 more apiece).  I HAD to have this recipe and make these on my own, and my sis finally gave it up!  It's the New York Times Best Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe, and they are SO very delicious.  Yum-tastic.  Crave-inducing.  They will give you a food-gasm.  Mmm-hmm.


New York Times Best Chocolate Chip Cookie

Here's what you need:


2 cups minus 2 tbsp. cake flour
1-2/3 cups bread flour
1-1/4 tsp. baking soda
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1-1/2 tsp. coarse salt (I had regular)
2-1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1-1/4 cups light brown sugar
1 cup plus 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1-1/4 lbs. bittersweet chocolate (I used 1 bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips)

Sift flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt together and set aside.

In stand mixer, combine sugars and butter until light and fluffy.  Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.  Mix in vanilla extract. 



Slowly add dry mixture and beat until just combined.  With a spatula, mix in chocolate chips.



Cover with plastic wrap, pressing plastic wrap onto dough, and chill for 24-36 hours.

Using a cookie scoop, form dough into golf ball-sized balls and place 3 inches apart on baking sheets.



The recipe says to bake 3-1/2 oz. dough balls at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes, but mine were a little smaller so I baked for 12 minutes and they turned out great, soft but golden brown.  Transfer to wire racks to cool for 10 minutes, then transfer to another rack to cool completely.



I didn't chill my dough for quite as long as the recipe called for, and I wish I had because I think it would have given me an even better result.  I would have also baked the cookies on parchment or Silpat lined baking sheets, so the chocolate chips didn't stick to my (supposedly) non-stick cookie sheets.  I think the key is following the recipe exactly, and you won't be let down.

These are some delicious cookies and I highly recommend them to any cookie snobs out there!!

Happy Baking!

No comments:


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved