Tuesday, October 30, 2012

October Birchbox (Better Late Than Never)

Birchbox.  It's a single word loaded with potential and excitement.  It's favorite little treat that shows up in my mailbox each month and always bring a smile to my face, even when I've had a punishing day.  I have had some great boxes and some crappy boxes, it's been a really mixed bag, but I keep coming back for more. 

I was totally stoked when I received an email last month asking if I'd be interested getting a goop Birchbox.  For those of you who aren't familiar with goop.com, it's the brainchild of Gwyneth Paltrow, and features so many wonderful products, recipes, tips and articles.  I was only recently acquainted with the site by my sister, who has been a faithful goop reader for years.  The goop Birchbox was going to feature products chosen by the goop team, and it seemed like a fun concept.  Those folks have amazing (and expensive) taste!

I was SO thrilled when I got my goop box in the mail.  It even had cute tissue paper with the goop logo on it, which was a nice touch.



Left to Right:
Supergoop City Sunscreen Serum SPF 30
Kiehl's Rosa Arctica Eye Cream
Jouer Lip Enhancer
Essie Nail Polish in Lady Like
Luna Bar in Lemon Zest
 
 

I'm not going to lie.  When I first opened the box, I thought the samples were very small.  The nail polish is full-size, as was the Luna Bar, but I was hoping for more with the Supergoop serum.  I guess I'm just a greedy, greedy girl. 

So let's talk turkey about the products. 

I am LOVING the Essie nail polish in Lady Like.  It just looks prim and proper, and it's very work-appropriate.  I don't have the kind of job where I can show up with blue polish on my finger nails, so to get a polish in a color I can really wear was awesome.

The Kiehl's eye cream is fabulous!  The Kiehl's brand can do no wrong, in my book.  I used to love visiting their store in Manhattan because they'd always throw a handful of free samples in my bag during checkout, allowing me to try new products after every shopping trip.  Everything I've ever tried of theirs has been amazing, and this eye cream is no exception.  It has a cooling effect upon application, and left my skin looking and feeling smooth.  If I had one criticism, it would be that the texture is a little too thick. 

The Jouer Lip Enhancer is a nice product, but it could have used a flavor.  I will say that it is VERY moisturizing and worked well as a nighttime treatment.  During the day, I want my lip products to have a color or a flavor, or both.  I don't know if I loved it enough to buy it in the full size, but this little mini is getting some good use.

The Supergoop City Serum was alright.  I love the idea of a serum-textured product to wear under makeup, and I loved the SPF 30.  Typically facial sunscreen products are SPF 15, which just isn't enough for my fair skin.  This product isn't exactly a serum consistency, though.  It's like a runnier sunscreen, and even smells a bit like sunscreen (which seemed to bother me, but I'm not sure what I expected it to smell like).  It leaves your skin a little bit tacky after application, so I wouldn't apply a powder makeup over it right away.  Overall, eh. 

Last but not least, the Luna Bar.  I would have LOVED to have tried this Luna Bar since other flavors I've tried have been so delicious, but I made the mistake of leaving my Birchbox open on the end table when I left for work the other day.  While Mom was away earning dollas, Bella (my devil dog) feasted on my Luna Bar and tore the wrapper to shreds.  I should have posted her picture on DogShaming.com.  She was totally wired when I got home too, so apparently Luna Bars give you an energy boost.  I will have to buy a box of these and try them for myself soon.

What did you get in your Birchbox?  If you don't get them, have you tried any of these products?

1 comment:

ChatterBlossom said...

The lady like nail polish is so pretty! Good one to get!
-Jamie
http://chatterblossom.blogspot.com/


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved