Friday, October 26, 2012

October Ipsy GlamBag

I can't believe I am just now posting this!  Typically I'm right on top of posting about my Birchboxes and GlamBags (it's one of my little joys), but this month is slowly slipping away from me. 

Here are the goods...



From Left to Right

Pequi Oil Treatment by Couture Color
Eye Shadow Quad by Coastal Scents
What's Your Type "The Body Builder" Black Mascara by The Balm
Onyx Eyeliner Pen by be a bombshell
Mirenesse Lip Bomb Glossy Lacquer Stain - Shade #9
 
 
Let me summarize by saying that this was not my favorite box, but it did have a few high points and surprises.  Let's discuss, shall we?
 
The Pequi Oil Treatment is a hair product that is used to reduce frizz and flyaways while increasing hair's shine and silkiness.  I am typically not a fan of oil treatments for my hair because my hair is oily enough to begin with, and I don't feel that adding more oil is the solution to my hair woes.  That's why I've stayed away from the miraculous Moroccan Argan Oil that everyone raves about--it's just more oil than I need.  I did give this product a try, just to see if I noticed a difference.  I put a few drops in my hair while it was still damp, and I didn't notice a big difference in my hair's texture or shine.  Then again, my hair is pretty healthy, so I didn't expect to dramatic results.  I put a few drops in my hair while it was dry, and it did smooth down some of the flyaways.  I would use it again, but only on freshly washed hair to avoid over-greasing my tresses.
 
The Coastal Scents eye shadow quad was a nice surprise.  I typically don't love the trial sized eye shadows that often come in these bags, but these colors were nice and neutral.  I can see myself wearing them often and have enjoyed the look I've achieved on a couple of my trial runs. 
 
The Balm's "The Body Builder" mascara pleasantly surprised me, too.  I didn't think I'd like this mascara because it has a narrow, unimpressive brush wand.  I typically think that bigger brushes lead to bigger lashes, but lately I've been proven wrong by two different mascaras.  This mascara doubled the length of my lashes, curled them nicely and increased their volume.  A winning combination!  I think I may purchase the full-size of this when my current mascara begins to run low.
 
The eyeliner pen... Where to begin?  I'm intimidated by eyeliner pens to begin with, since they usually take a very steady hand to apply appropriately... and my hand just isn't.  I saw this one, which is the size of a Sharpie pen, and I immediately thought, "Kari, you're going to make a total mess with that big ol' thing!"  Needless to say, I haven't tried it yet.
 
The Mirenesse Lip Bomb claims to be a "Glossy Lacquer Stain".  This makes absolutely no sense to me because I define each of these words very differently as it relates to lip products.  I had to give it a try, of course, and I was quite underwhelmed with the results.  This product goes on like a lacquer (not like a gloss OR a stain), but it looks like wall paint on my lips.  It's very pale, opaque and goopy.  The color didn't complement my skin tone at all, and just looked silly on me.  Even Hubs disapproved, and usually he's easy to please.  I won't be using this again.
 
The cosmetic bag that the products came in far exceeded my expectations this month.  Usually GlamBag bags are chintzy and the zippers fall apart almost immediately, but this bag was actually pretty great.  The reasons?  It's got a cute pattern, it's lined in red (love!), it has a red patent pleather pull tab on the zipper (double love!) and seems well-constructed.  Normally I pitch these bags, but this one's getting a permanent home in my cosmetic bag stash.
 
The verdict: Not too shabby!  There were some highs and some lows, but I still enjoyed it enough to keep my subscription for awhile longer. I toyed with ending my subscription, but I am going to hang on for a bit and see what comes in the upcoming months.
 
What did you think of this month's bag??

2 comments:

Brittany Belling said...

That sounds fabulous! Use the pen when you're cleaning around the house or something!! I hate the pens too, I'm awful at applying it too.

ChatterBlossom said...

I have trouble with eyeliner too! And it always ends up rubbing off onto my eyelids. Boo. But the bag is super cute! ;-)
-Jamie
http://chatterblossom.blogspot.com/


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved