Friday, November 2, 2012

The End of an Era

Today marks the end of an era in Hubs and I's lives.  As I've mentioned before, Hubs has been working as a weekend radio dj for a local rock radio station since 2008.  He works a regular weekday job and does radio work on the weekends.  He doesn't get paid much and doesn't get many hours, but he really loves the work.  He has been doing normal radio shifts and he hosts and programs the heavy metal show on Saturday nights.  He has a strong fan base in the local area and has heavily supported the local rock and heavy metal scene.

As of today, Hubs is no longer working for the radio station because he is unable to be available whenever he is needed, like on Tuesdays at 1 pm.  As a grown adult he cannot afford to be a part-timer who gets 15 hours of work per week and is available 24/7.  He needs a regular income and health insurance.  The radio station's corporate office said that they will no longer have employees who only have limited availability, which is crushing to my poor husband.  He has poured all of himself, his heart and his soul, into this job over the past 4 and a half years, and it sucks that things had to end this way.

Hubs runs a Facebook page for his heavy metal show, and he posted a statement today about the fact that he will no longer be hosting or programming the metal show.  The outpouring of love and support has been tremendous, and his fans want him to keep the page going with a focus on the local heavy metal scene.  I know that Hubs will continue to support the music in the years to come.  Rock and heavy metal music is a passion for him, and I'd never, ever want to see him give that up.

It's sad to think that the perks of the radio job will no longer be available to us anymore.  No more free concerts, no more meet and greets with Hubs' favorite bands, and no more Gasparilla parade.  I'm sad about this, but I'm more sad for Hubs because being on the radio was his dream.  Radio has afforded him the opportunity to meet some influential people and have a tremendous amount of fun, so it's not necessarily a bad story. 

I have encouraged Hubs to seek out work with other local radio stations, but I think he's going to take a break from it for awhile.  After years of dedicating every Thursday night, Friday night and Saturday to his shows, he wants to see what it's like to spend some quality time with yours truly.  I certainly can't complain about that!!  This will give us much more flexibility to travel on our weekends without the pressures of pre-programming, finding fill-ins or feeling guilty about not being available to the company.

In all, we'll turn lemons into lemonade (or lemon drop martinis!) and make the most of the change in our life.  It is bittersweet to say the least, but I know that my husband's passion will continue on in the form of new ventures. So here's to a new chapter in life, and all of the exciting new things that will come with it!!

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Enjoy the time that you will have with him! With the holidays just around the corner, the timing may prove to work perfectly. It will be hard on him, but help him fill the time. As cliche as it may sound--when one door closes, another one is sure to open. Hang in there!!

Nichole said...

awww, SUCH a bummer. But everything happens for a reason and at least you get more time with each other!

ChatterBlossom said...

Good luck to him and you in the new quest for jobs! My hubs in currently looking as well.
-Jamie
http://chatterblossom.blogspot.com/


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved