Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Heartbroken But Still Standing

I've been a bit of an absentee blogger recently because life has happened.  I'm coping the best I can, but I'm heartbroken on a number of fronts right now. 

The first situation has to do with my husband's mom.  I don't talk about it much, but she has an advanced stage of Alzheimer's disease and isn't doing well.  You might be wondering how she got Alzheimer's so young, since Hubs and I aren't that old.  Well, Hubs's mom was in her early 40s when she had him, so she is considerably older than my parents.  She's now in her mid-70s, but the onset began fairly early, when she was in her late 60's.  I can't begin to tell you how much I hate Alzheimer's disease for what it has done to my loved ones.  Hubs's mom had a wonderful life, and it was stolen by this awful disease that took away everything--her voice, her passion, growing old with her family, and more. 

Hubs's mom was put in the hospital last week after choking on oatmeal and subsequently getting pneumonia after she aspirated.  The doctors did a CAT scan and found that her brain is shrinking and the part of her brain that controls swallowing has deteriorated.  She choked on the oatmeal because her brain is forgetting how to swallow.  So. Sad.  She can no longer eat solid foods, and my father-in-law was told that her returning home was not a possibility.  Now we are having to decide, along with Hubs's dad, about what kind of nursing home she should go to, whether she should go on a feeding tube, and other difficult decisions.

We are all heartbroken but want to do what's best for her, to give her dignity in her remaining days and show her how much we all love her.  Hubs was a momma's boy (and I mean that in the nicest sense of the term), so he is taking this really hard and so am I.   Life just isn't fair sometimes, you know?  If you could spare any thoughts and prayers, our family would really appreciate it.

In other (less significant) news, I've experienced several disappointments lately related to my work that have gotten under my skin.  I am trying to let them go and move forward in a productive way, but that's easier said than done.  I just keep reminding myself that in time, good things will happen.  Sometimes you just have to keep trying and wait it out.

Finally, I've experienced car trouble recently, with my car battery dying on me at work.  I went to get my battery replaced, and while the tech was doing the job, my car key broke in half in my hands.  I had to have Hubs take me all the way home to get my spare key, then take me all the way back to pick up my car.  Hubs and I met up at Outback Steakhouse for dinner on the way back because it was late and I was too pissed to cook a decent meal.  Thank God for gift cards and cocktails!

When it rains, it pours, as my momma always says.  Thankfully, Hubs and I are positive people who try to view life with a glass-half-full attitude.  We know that good things are around the corner for us, so we will get through the challenging times together.  We're a solid unit that way.  And we'll do it with grace, empathy and a dose of humor, like we do best.

Much love to all of you who have checked in with me recently.  You girls are the best!!  I appreciate the love and support.

4 comments:

Betty said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's mother. Alzeimer's is truly a terrible disease. I'm also sorry to hear about the other not-fun going on in your life right now. This week has been a rough one for us as well...and there's something about it being winter that makes it extra bad. sending your lots of prayers.

Lauren said...

I'm so sorry to hear what you all are going through. Sending lots of thoughts and prayers your way <3

Rita said...

You broke your car key with your bare hands? You must have some strong grip there, Kari! Did the mechanic tell you what the reason was for your battery to suddenly malfunction? It seems to me like it only needed a jump start, which is usually normal during a cold weather.

Rita McCall

Enoch Ross said...

“When it rains, it pours”. Looks like it was a long day for you! A car battery and car keys can repaired and replaced, so there’s no need to actually be disappointed or stressed about it. I suggest to give your car some maintenance, so such things can be avoided.

-Enoch Ross


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved