Tuesday, January 1, 2013

I Don't Set Resolutions

That's right, I don't set any resolutions for the New Year.  Resolutions suck.  You probably want to know why I staunchly hate the idea of resolutions.  It's because resolutions are absolute.  They are inflexible.  Not keeping them makes me feel like a failure when I don't meet them in the course of a year.  In short, resolutions for the birds.

Instead, I believe in setting goals.  Goals are fluid, and can be adapted as shit in my life forces me to make changes to those well-laid plans.  Because we all know that life has a funny way of messing things up just when we think we've got it all figured out.

Is it just an issue of semantics, resolutions versus goals?  Well, you might think so.  I think they're different, or at least that's what my gut tells me.  I believe that goals give me a target but without making me feel like my year was a total loss if I don't perform like I should (like those pesky resolutions do).  So yeah, goals and I go together like peas and carrots.  Or Bartles & James.  Or Kim and Kanye.

I have, in fact, set a few goals for myself this year.  Some of these plans include my husband, so I'm sure he'll smirk when he reads this.  Men love it when their wives make plans without including them!

Goal #1:  Lose weight.  Don't we all want this for the new year?  It's because we just finished a 5 week food fest and all of our jeans are tight.  I really just want to lose some weight and get healthier before Hubs and I start talking about babies.

Goal #2:  Get our condo ready for renters.  We need to paint several rooms, caulk, and a bunch of other little things.  I wanted to do all of this last year but life had other plans.  This means that Hubs and I are going to work on the weekends, but it's all for a good cause.

Goal #3:  Buy a new house.  I really hope we can make this happen this year because we are so ready to get into a bigger house.

Goal #4:  Declutter the casa.  Like, all of the closets and bookshelves need an overhaul, and I'm donating our extra stuff to charity.

Goal #5:  Read 5 books.  This probably seems like child's play to some of my hardcore reading friends, but since I only read 2 last year, 5 seems better but still attainable.  If I crush the goal of 5, then I may make it 10.  We'll see how it goes.

Goal #6:  Cook dinner at home at least 5 nights per week.  It's healthier and easier on the wallet than going out all the time, and I know that Hubs will appreciate my sensitivity to such matters.

Goal #7:  Continue to pay off more debt.  This went well last year, so I know I'm going to kill it in 2013!  Hear that student loans??  I'm coming for YOU!

Goal #8:  Visit our families in Michigan and Philadelphia.  Hubs and I were just talking about taking a road trip from Philly to Boston to hit a bunch of his family sometime this year.  I love Philly and I've always wanted to visit Beantown, so I'm geared up for that!

Goal #9:  Go to at least one Detroit Tigers spring training game and two Rays games.  I have to set a baseball goal since hockey is likely a no-go for this year.

Goal #10:  Get recertified professionally.  I have to act fast because I'm due for recertification at the end of March!  I've slacked for way too long.

Sounds like a pretty good list to me.  I am going to work toward accomplishing all of these things this year because checking them off my list will feel so very good.  I can't wait!

Have you set resolutions for yourself? 
If so, what's the one resolution that you're most intent on keeping?

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

TheTinyHeart said...

I don't believe in resolutions either but I do like the idea of goals! I cook dinner 5 days a week too and it really does make a difference on saving money! Happy new year :)

-Sharon
The Tiny Heart


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved