Wednesday, January 23, 2013

January Ipsy vs. Birchbox

I'm just going to cut to the chase this month:  Ispy won.  In fact, Birchbox got spanked by Ispy in the biggest way.   I don't think I got $10 worth of products in my Birchbox, but I got far more than that in my Ipsy bag.  And it's not just about value of products.  I think I'll use the products in my Ipsy bag much more than I'll use the items in my Birchbox.

Let's get to the compare-and-contrast, shall we?

Birchbox
 
 
L to R:
My Multi-Purpose Mattifying Moisturizer
Nuxe Body Fondant Firming Cream
Ojon damage reverse Instant Restorative Hair Serum
Viva La Juicy Perfume Sample
 
Item Missing:  Eyeko Skinny Liquid Eyeliner
 
When I opened this box, I was supremely disappointed.  A single use body cream sample, another perfume sample, a tiny vial of hair serum and a little tube of moisturizer? Four skimpy little samples??  C'mon Birchbox.  Get your act together.  Then I read the card and noticed that Birchbox had forgotten to include the liquid eyeliner sample.  That would have helped, but since it wasn't in there, I have to judge this box for what it is.
 
The hair serum is nice and helped to smooth some flyaways.  I didn't love that the vial was so tiny, but the product did work well, so there's that.  The Nuxe moisturizer is okay.  I can't tell if it's doing its anti-aging, firming thang, but the scent wasn't overpowering and the formula wasn't greasy.  The My mattifying moisturizer was actually a really nice product, and a decent sized sample. Yay for that!  This was like a primer and moisturizer in one, which is great for me.  I like simplifying my morning routine with fewer steps.  Take note,  Birchbox.  We want more samples like this!!  I might actually buy the full-size if I can stomach the $68 price tag.  The Viva La Juicy perfume sample smells alright, but I'm not buying the full-size version of it.  I just wound up smelling like a French whore after the top notes wore off.
 
Like I said, the eyeliner may have made this a better box, but there's no way to tell.  I did let Birchbox know that they shorted me an item, and they deposited 100 Birchbox points into my account for the trouble.  I'd have rather had the product, but they claimed that it was out of stock.  Hmph.

 
Ipsy
 
 
Clockwise starting at upper left:
Sexy Hair Spray & Play Volumizing Hairspray
Josie Maran 100% Pure Argan Oil Organic Moisturizer
Nailtini Nail Polish in Bloody Mary
Pacifica Tuscan Blood Orange Body Butter
SOHO Beauty Concealer Brush
 
This month's bag was pretty great, in my opinion.  I'm glad to finally get an Ipsy bag that isn't just make-up, and I think they chose a good selection of products.  All of the products were generously sized or full-size which was a huge bonus.  This month's cosmetic bag was plain black and boring, but it's larger than the typical Ipsy bag so I'll probably use it again.
 
The Sexy Hair hairspray worked great and is joining my travel bag this week.  I would consider buying the full-size version when my current Aveda Air Control hairspray runs out.  I've been wanting to try the Jose Maran argan oil for awhile now, and I loved getting this large sample.  And guess what?  It's awesome!  I used it as a facial moisturizer, but you can also use it to treat split ends, moisturize your body, smooth your cuticles or add to your bath.  I am definitely buying the full-size of this product!  The nail polish was a great cherry red, and it will look great as temperatures begin to warm up.  The blood orange body butter was a surprise for me in a good way.  I always think I'll be disappointed in new moisturizers, but not this one.  This moisturizer was thick, creamy, smelled lovely and I have enough for several widespread applications.  Winner winner chicken dinner!  Finally, the concealer brush was a fun addition to the bag and will get added to my brush arsenal. 
 
Overall, I'm very pleased with the Ispy bag and give kudos to Ipsy for upping the ante on the quality and size of their product.
 
The Winner:  Ipsy!!
For $10, I can either get 4 disappointingly small samples with Birchbox or I can get 5 large sample or full-size products with Ispy.  There was just no comparison this month that Ipsy knocked it out of the park. 
 
If you get either of these subscriptions, which did you prefer this month?? 
Was there a hero product for you?  For me, it was the Josie Maran argan oil.

No comments:


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved