Sunday, January 27, 2013

Leaving On A Jet Plane

Well gang, I'm heading to Philadelphia tomorrow.  On a 6:00 am flight.  You know that if I'm waking up at 3:30 am for a 6:00 am flight, things have to be pretty freaking serious.

My mother-in-law is still in the hospital, but will be moved to the hospice unit tomorrow.  The pneumonia isn't clearing up, even with high doses of antibiotics, and there's nothing more that can be done for her.  She can no longer swallow, but due to the condition of her lungs, she can't undergo the anesthesia or surgery to have a feeding tube inserted.  Now it's only a matter of time before she passes on.  It's such a heart-wrenching situation, but I'm so grateful to have friends and family supporting us during this time.

We will be going to Philly and staying all week, maybe longer, depending on how things play out.  We are staying with my hubby's illustrious Godfather, Tom, who is not only the world's best host, but a phenomenal cook and a shoulder to lean on when things get hard.  We <3 him.="" nbsp="" p="">
We will be there for my father-in-law, who needs us now more than ever.  To say that he was unprepared for this situation would be an understatement.  There's nothing like facing your parents' mortality by picking out burial plots and putting your name on their bank accounts.  But that's what needs to be done here, and it's not going to be easy.  I sense that the upcoming week will be one of mixed emotions, gratitude and heartache, with a little frustration thrown in for good measure.  Please keep us all in your prayers, since we'll surely need it.

I'll be posting from Philly, as time permits, because I'm sure I'll need a sanity check from time to time.  You know how difficult times are with families, sometimes people lose their cool or get testy with one another.  I just want everyone to remember how much love is around us while we pray for Jane and make her comfortable in her final days.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Hope you have a good trip and will be thinking of you all!

Betty said...

Sending lots of prayers your way. Have a safe trip...so glad you are abel to go!

Sam M said...

Oh gosh that is terrible to hear, I am so sorry Kari. Thinking of you and sending positive thoughts and prayers. xo


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved