Wednesday, March 20, 2013

March Birchbox vs. Ipsy

Ah, ladies and gentlemen, it's time once again for the monthly Birchbox vs. Ipsy match-up!   It's been a lot of fun getting these monthly subscription box and bag services, and I have been thrilled to discover some of my favorite new products this way.  My husband may think it's silly, but it brings me so much joy every month!

So let's get to the face-off.

Birchbox


L to R:
Sage + Fasten Common Sense Eau de Parfum Rollerball
Macadamia Natural Oil Healing Oil Treatment
Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque
MAKE Silk Cream Lipstick - Maraschino Cherry
Madewell for Birchbox Nail File
MAKE Dual Phase Eye Makeup Remover

This is one of the best Birchboxes I've gotten in months!  I really love the variety of products and the size of the products is awesome.  I only got one single-use product this month (the hair masque), and the rest were all large enough for multiple uses.  For me, this is a huge win, since my previous boxes were loaded with single-use samples.  I don't know about you, but one use of a product isn't enough for me to tell if I like it or not.  I often need a second or third use to determine whether it's worth buying the full-size version of that product.

Sage + Fasten's perfume rollerball has a light fragrance that is both fruity and floral.  The primary notes are orchid, lotus flower, mango, lychee and peach, all of which make me a very happy girl.  The little rollerball is cute and perfect for quite a few uses.

The MAKE lipstick is a highly pigmented product and gives me a bright, bold red lip, which is great for a date night with my hubby or a girls night out.  The MAKE eye makeup remover combines oil and water phases to remove stubborn eye makeup.  I haven't tried this yet, but I'm hoping it works well on my waterproof mascaras.  

I was excited to get the Macadamia Natural Oil hair products.  I've seen them for awhile and wondered how well they worked.  The Healing Oil Treatment smells like the nectar of the gods... I just want to keep inhaling it!!  On my hair, the treatment oil tamed my frizzies and gave my hair a smooth overall appearance.  I haven't tried the hair masque yet, but if it smells and works like the treatment oil,  I'll probably like it.

Overall, this was a really solid box that was worth well over the $10 I spent on it.


Ipsy


L to R:
Juice Beauty Hydrating Mist
La Fresh Travel Lite Makeup Remover Wipes
yaby Eyeshadow - So Vein
yaby Eyeshadow - Sand Dune
GlamRx Magnetic Palette

To begin with, I was underwhelmed by this month's Ipsy bag.  While the nautical anchor bag is very cute, the material is thin and almost see-through.  Cute, but not my favorite bag.  I will give Ipsy credit for giving us a printed bag this month.  After several months of plain, boring bags, this month's has a little bit of personality.

I was most excited to see the large travel size Juice Beauty Hydrating Mist.  I love Juice Beauty's products (especially their oil free moisturizer), and never pass up an opportunity to try other products in their lineup.  I'm a fan of this hydrating mist, which has a light scent of rosehip, ylang ylang, resveratrol grapeseed oil and antioxidant-rich organic juices.  Some people think this smells bad or old lady-ish, but I don't mind it at all.  I also like spray toners, so I don't have an issues with misting my face with this stuff, especially in the warmer months.

The La Fresh makeup remover wipes are nice, but I don't think they remove the waterproof makeup very easily.  They get off the bulk of the makeup, though, and do leave my skin feeling fresh.

I have mixed feelings about getting more eyeshadow samples from Ispy.  This is the third month in a row where we are getting teeny, tiny pans of eyeshadow, many of which have been colors that I don't really like.  The problem with these yaby eyeshadows is that they are not well-pigmented so it takes a LOT of this shadow to show up on my skin.  I'm not totally wild about So Vein, the emerald shadow, but the only way I could apply this to get the color I want is to apply it wet.  Sand Dune is too similar to the color of my skin and didn't show up well, even when applied wet.

Finally, the GlamRx magnetic palette was really confusing.  I opened it and it was empty, so I immediately thought I had been shorted a product.  Then I read about it online and noticed that everyone's was empty.  It is meant for you to put pans of your favorite eyeshadow or blush in for travel.  While the mirror inside is a nice touch, I don't have many loose pans of eyeshadow that need homes.  What would have been nice is if this palette held all of the tiny pans of eyeshadow that Ispy has given us in recent months.  Unfortunately, the Coastal Scents pans are not magnetic, so they don't stick to the GlamRx palette.  Boooooo.  The only pans i have for this are the two new yaby pans.  I probably won't get much use out of this going forward.

I don't feel that I got $10 worth of value out of this box, but I'm sure if you add up the individual products in this box, it might equal that.  Might.

This month's winner is Birchbox!!  I'm glad to finally get a Birchbox worth bragging about.

Did you get either of these boxes/bags this month?
What did you think of yours??

No comments:


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved