Monday, March 18, 2013

St. Patrick's Day in the 813

March and April are my favorite months of the year down here in the good ol' Sunshine State, mainly because the weather is beautiful and there are so many great springtime activities.  One of my favorite March events is St. Patrick's Day.  Who doesn't love wearing green and decorating with shamrocks and leprechauns, and of course, drinking green beer?!

This weekend, we celebrated St. Patrick's Day in the way that Tampanians know best:  a parade!  Hubs and I went down to 7th Avenue in Ybor City on Saturday night to watch the St. Pat's parade hosted by Tampa's Rough Riders.   It was sooo much fun!

In case you're not from this area, parades in Tampa area awesome drunk-fests with excellent people-watching.  Hubs and I didn't drink before or during the parade this year, but lots of people do and I don't judge.  There are bars lining the parade route, so many people pre-game at the bars, watch the parades, then go either to an after-party or another bar for post-parade festivities.  There are four major parades each spring:  Gasparilla, Gasparilla Childrens, Knight and St. Patrick's Day parades.  We missed the Gasparilla and Knight parades this year, so we HAD to go to the St. Pat's parade, which is the best of them all, in my opinion.

We always camp out in front of the Italian Club and stake out a front row spot so we can see everything.  I'm on the short side, so I hate getting stuck behind tall men who block my entire view.   

Me and Hubs (pardon my make-up free face)
The sun was setting and people were filling the streets
Parade floats coming down 7th Avenue

More Rough Riders throwing beads

I wanted to take better pictures of the floats, I really did, but there were Mardi Gras beads flying everywhere and I didn't want to risk getting smacked in the face.  That actually happened 3 times when I wasn't paying attention, but at least I tried to minimize the damage!  We did manage to catch a ton of beads, and after the parade was over, we headed down to the Cuban Club for the Rough Riders after-party.  We met up with some great friends who are in the Cuban Club's krewe, had some drinks and caught up amidst the hubbub.  

Stephenie and I enjoying our St. Pat's celebration while I do my best Mr. T impersonation

Seriously, I think I would have developed a hunchback if I'd worn all those beads much longer!  They were heavy and I was sweating with all of them around my neck, so off they went when we got back to the car.  

Hubs and I didn't venture out to the bars on Sunday to drink green beer. Instead, we ran errands and did work around the house because we didn't want to deal with the crowds.  St. Patrick's Day is usually amateur hour around here, and people get really sloppy really fast.

What did you do for St. Paddy's Day??
Did you drink green beer and pinch people who weren't wearing green?

1 comment:

Nichole said...

I have always wanted to go to that parade! Looks fun.


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved