Friday, April 19, 2013

April Birchbox and a Farewell

I have a confession to make.

Everyone knows how much I love my subscription boxes, and I've subscribed to 5 different boxes/bags over the past 6 months (not simultaneously).  I have my favorites, but there are constantly new subscription services offering bigger and better products.  In order to try new boxes, I've had to say goodbye to some of my long-standing subscriptions.  I decided to drop Ipsy last month because I wanted to try FabFitFun (post to come!), and I also decided to drop Birchbox.  Yup, I'm really doing it.

Dropping Birchbox was the biggest pain point for me because I've had some AH-MA-ZING boxes, and then I've had some awful boxes that were NOT worth the money.  The good ones kept me comin' back for more, but I couldn't ignore the duds.  But, wouldn't you know it, once I decided to drop Birchbox starting in May, I got two awesome boxes in a row!!  OF COURSE.

Truth be told, I was going to cancel in April, but I realized I had 298 Birchbox points, just 2 points shy of earning a $30 Birchbox.com credit.  OF COURSE.  I determined that it would be cheaper to get one more month of the box (and do reviews to earn my last couple of points) than it would be to order an item (plus pay tax and shipping) to earn the points.  So I hung on for April, and I was not disappointed in my box.  YAY!  But, BOOOO.  I don't want to drop Birchbox when I've been getting awesome boxes.  It just feels counterintuitive, but I'm trying to remember the duds and my wallet.  I can't afford all of these subscription boxes, so tough decisions have to be made.

Want to see my Birchbox this month?  (I heard that, it was a resounding "yes".)


L to R (Clockwise):

LAFCO Fleurs de  Baies Bath Soap
Simple Revitalizing Eye Roll-on
Mineresse Glossy Kiss Lipstick
Kerastase Age Premium Bain Substantif (2)
Joanna Vargas Daily Serum

This is a successful box for me in a couple of ways.  First, I got two full-size products (Simple and Mineresse), and the other three sample sized products I received are all truly deluxe-sized.  This is a HUGE improvement over some of my past Birchboxes, which contained several single-use sample packets and one or two deluxe-sized samples.  Second, there is real value in this box.  The Mineresse lipstick is work $26.55, and the Simple eye roll-on is worth $10.99.  The bath soap is not full-sized, but it's the perfect size for guests who come to visit for the weekend.  I also got two of the single-use Kerastase shampoo samples, and the face serum will be good for several uses.  It's a winning combination.  I'm stoked to feel like I got way more than my money's worth with this box, but it makes giving up my subscription bittersweet.  

My favorite part of the box was actually the Simple eye roll-on.  I doubt I would have ever bought this at the store, but I love the way it feels around my eyes!  It's cooling and refereshing, just what my tired eyes need in the morning or the evening.  While Simple isn't the typical luxury brand that Birchbox promotes, it's a great product that I'm happy to have.

While my Birchbox subscription will be gone, it will not be forgotten.  I may resubscribe down the road if FabFitFun doesn't work out, because I still think Birchbox has some good things going for it.  

Farewell for now, Birchbox.  May we meet again in the future and enjoy happier times together.  While our history wasn't always rosy, at least we went out with a bang!

Have you tried any of the Simple products before?  What did you think of them?
If you got a Birchbox, what were your thoughts on this month's box?

1 comment:

Heather (My Little HEA) said...

I can't believe you stopped the Birchbox, but I agree things must be dropped to try new ones. I'm working my way through but the Popsugar was enough of a drop for now, thank goodness!


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved