Tuesday, May 14, 2013

For Love of Mother's Day


Sunday was Mother's Day.  I know, I know, we were all busy loving on our mama's that day.  It was a bittersweet day in the Carruolo household, though.  While I was stoked that Hubs and I got to spend Mother's Day with my mom, one of my favorite people in the whole world, this was also our first Mother's Day without my dear mother-in-law, Jane.

Jane was a wonderful woman, and I've been thinking about her a lot lately.  Jane passed away in February after a long battle with Alzheimer's Disease, and to say that she is missed would be an understatement.  Jane was loved and adored by so, so many people, and Hubs, her only child, misses her the most.  She had kind eyes and a sweet, pure soul that comforted everyone around her.

Jane has been on my mind lately because I recently started working for a hospice organization, and I developed tremendous admiration for hospice nurses and volunteers after spending time with Jane in hospice.  Everyone took the best care of her, and it just reminds me how respected and loved she was, even in the last days of her life.  Hubs didn't say much about his mom on Mother's Day, but I knew he was hurting and I didn't pry.  I have learned over the years to let him manage his feelings in his own way, and I know that when he needs me, he'll let me know.

Thinking about our loss of Jane, I feel more grateful than ever to have my mom in my life.  She is a strong, smart, logical, silly and thoughtful woman, and I strive to be like her every single day.  She is a true drama-free zone, and she never lets anything ruffle her feathers.  I have no idea how she does it!!  I was not blessed with that gift, but other people think I was because I try to remain calm in times of stress.  I guess I just hide my freak-out moments well, but inside I'm a wreck!  I have seen my mom on her strongest and her weakest days, and she never ceases to amaze me.  My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2008, and after multiple lumpectomies, she had a double mastectomy that surely saved her life.  Thanks to catching the cancer early, I have my mom with me today, and hopefully for many years to come.  God is good!

On Sunday, my parents came to town and we went to one of my mom's favorite restaurants, J. Alexander's.  We stuffed ourselves on delicious food, then topped it all off with dessert.  It was a sinful food moment, if there ever was one.  We gave my mom a gift we knew she'd love:  a gift bag full of Aveda products!  She was thrilled, and I grinned from ear to ear.  I love when I can make my mom that happy!  Presents are nice, but the real gift was spending time together.  I am truly blessed to have such wonderful, generous parents.

Here's a little photo spread from our early bird dinner...

Hubs and I (pardon the cleavage)

The Best Parents EVER

Me and My Mom

Me and My Baby, Bella

Mum's Day Sangria (Mommy's Little Helper)

Overall, it was a lovely, spendiferous, superb Mother's Day and I couldn't ask for anything more.  Oh wait, I can ask for one thing.  I ask God to make me more like my mom.  She's really got her ish together and I hope to be that great of a mom to my kids someday.

Happy belated Mother's Day to all of my mom friends out there!

1 comment:

orangespoken.com said...

Looks like a lovely mom's day! Hospice was so kind to my mother right before she passed away last year. Amazing organization! :)


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved