Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Gimme The Beat Boys...

I've never been a girl with many hobbies.  Sure, there are things I love to do, like shopping, scoping out beauty products and trying new restaurants, but they don't really qualify for hobby status.  It's not like scrapbooking, knitting, boating or playing adult league kickball.  I was recently talking to one of my coworkers when she asked me what my hobbies were.  I told her rather matter-of-factly that I don't really have many hobbies, but if I did do something that rose to that level, it would have to be going to concerts.  Amazingly enough, she said that was one of her hobbies too.  I can tell that we're going to be fast friends.

There's something about live music that makes me infinitely happy, and it's one of the things that Hubs and I first bonded over.  Heck, our first date was at a concert, and I've lost track of how many shows we've been to together over the years.  It's just one of our things.  He and I like very different types of music, but we both appreciate great musicianship and talent, so we are cool with seeing each others' shows.  It's one of the many reasons why we're perfect concert buddies.

As much as I love going to concerts, I've become much more selective in recent years about what shows I will pay to see and how much I'm willing to pay to see them.  For example, I've wanted to see Taylor Swift several times, but I just felt like her $75 nose-bleed seats were a bit of a rip-off.  I lurve some Taylor, but I'd like to see her for less.  I saw Weezer last November and paid $90 a ticket, and I considered that money well-spent since they were on my list of bands that I must see before I die (like a concert bucket list).  Hubs, however, disagreed and thought the price point was too high, so I had to find a friend to go with me.  No biggie, we had a blast.  I just dropped several hundred dollars on tickets to a couple of Dave Matthews Band shows this summer, but they're my favorite band of all time, so I can justify it.  It's all about choices when your concert budget is limited.  Then there's good ol' Justin Timberlake.  I am DYING to see JT, but I'm trying to convince myself that the $100-ish price tag is worth it.  Plus, I already saw JT once (he was hot and the show was ridiculously good, as per usual) so seeing him again would just be a bonus.  The moral of the story is that I'm totally willing to drop some cash on shows that are important to me, but I just can't spend that kind of moolah to watch someone lip sync (sorry, Britney Spears).  I want to see performers actually sing and play their instruments.  That's what live music is all about.

And it's not just about dropping big bucks to see bands or singers.  I also love to go to cheap concerts, like the $10 tickets I got to see a rock band called Fozzy tomorrow night.  (Big points to you if you know who Fozzy is.)  It's all about seeing shows that make my heart smile, regardless of the cost.

You see, everybody's got that somethin' that makes them feel good.  Makes them feel alive.  Soothes them to their core.  For me, that's music.  For you, it might be movies or books or an intense obsession with margaritas, and that's awesome.  I think everybody needs something that brings them that kind of joy.

That brings me to another point.  Music in general is so, so subjective.  What moves you may not be what moves me, but that's cool.  I don't judge people based on their musical preferences because it's just one more difference to celebrate.  The world would be extraordinarily boring if we all liked exactly the same things.  Just one request to put out into the universe, though:  Please don't trash the music I love to my face after I've told you what I'm into.  I wouldn't do that anyone, and I hate it when people do that to me.  I have one friend who NEVER misses a chance to tell me how much he thinks Dave Matthews Band sucks, and therefore he's always on my shit list.  Rude.  We should all respect other peoples' passions and follow the golden rule.

Whatever you love, whatever brings you happiness and contentment, celebrate it!

1 comment:

Heather (My Little HEA) said...

Oh yes...when someone knows you love something and finds the chance to bash it. Music, movies, books, just be nice and I'll try not to think of a million scary things to do to you okay?! I've only ever paid for cheap concerts...they're just not tangible enough for me to spend a bunch of money on even though I love going!


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved