Monday, May 20, 2013

That Time I Got an Endoscopy

Typically, when you start a new job, you don't really get time off for the first few months.  That means those first few months can be a killer, but eventually, you'll get to use that vacation time you've earned.  I can happily say that even though I started my new job four weeks ago, I had today off.  Yippy skippy!

It hasn't been all fun and games though.  I actually negotiated this day off with my boss before I was hired.  I've needed to get an endoscopy for my awful, disgusting acid reflux problem (anyone else have to deal with this mess??) since March, and a month ago, I was finally able to get it scheduled.  It was problematic that it fell within my first few weeks on the job, but my new bosses were understanding.  For that, I'm thankful.

In case you've never had one of these lovely procedures, it's where the doctor puts a scope down your throat and has a good, long look at your esophagus and stomach.  It sounds horrible, having some camera jammed down your throat, but they actually knock you out under general anesthesia while it's done.  You wake up in recovery with nary a memory of the experience.  Pretty awesome, right?  Eh, well, I just want to get to the bottom of my acid reflux issue badly enough to put up with this shizz.

I wasn't scared of the procedure at all (since I'd be sawing logs), but I was a nervous wreck about getting the IV.  The last time I got an IV, it hurt like holy hell and I had crazy bruises on my arm afterward that left me looking battered and abused.  The nurse who did it was pure evil.  This time, I warned the nurse that I was a big baby, so she called in reinforcements, in the form of two other nurses to hold my hand and distract me.  Thankfully, this nurse was MUCH better at putting in the IV and it didn't hurt too badly at all.  I was SO relieved, but was ready for it to be over.

After the procedure, I was way groggy, but I perked up a bit when my mom came back to see me in recovery.  She drove me home, and we stopped at one of my favorite local breakfast spots, Daily Eats, for some french toast and egg bowls.  I was starving and the tasty grub hit the spot.

I got to spend the rest of the day today with my mom and dad, which was fun because I never get to see them without Hubs or my sister around these days.  Not that that's a bad thing, it's just the way it goes once you're married.  In the afternoon, my mom and I needed something simple and mindless to do, so we went to get pedicures.  I can enjoy a pedi no matter how groggy I am!  My parents also had to drive me to my other doctor's appointment later in the afternoon, so I joked that they were playing chauffeur for the day.  I really loved being carted around town without having to think about traffic or worry about parking!

I'm anxious to get out and do things, but I've been told not to drive or make any important decisions for the rest of the day.  Womp, womp.  I guess that means I'll be spending the rest of my evening blogging!  Not such a bad deal, really.  Tomorrow I'm back to work, so I will relish a few more hours of free time while I can!

1 comment:

orangespoken.com said...

I've heard acid reflux is a PITA! Hopefully you can get some answers and some relief!


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved