Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Master Bedroom Bonanza

While many people argue that the kitchen is the heart of the home, I say that the master bedroom is of nearly equal importance.  It's my sanctuary, my cozy sleepy place and my place for quiet reflection.  Because I really value having a great master suite, I'm looking to make a few enhancements to our master bedroom in the new house.

First of all, the new house's master bedroom is HUGE.  Like, 30' x 14' huge.  Our current master bedroom is a decent size, 11-1/2' by 15', but the new master puts our current one to shame.  The reason the master bedroom in the new house is so big is that the current owners got cray-zay and put a 14' x 14' addition onto the master bedroom, which they've been using as an office and sitting room.  Hubs and I plan to use the additional space for the same purpose, and it was a big selling point of the house.

I really want to do some things in the bedroom to maximize space and efficiency, and also to make the room comfortable.  We are FINALLY going to be upgrading to a king size bed, which is a huge step for us.  My husband seriously has a love affair going on with our current queen mattress, and I never thought I'd be able to tear him away.  BUT, after sleeping in a king size bed on a recent weekend trip, he agreed that we must have the bigger bed in our house.

And since we're getting a new bed, I have to buy new bedding, of course.  I've been looking around, and Hubs and I finally agreed on getting our bedding from West Elm.  I love the simple modern flair of practically everything in their catalog.  We chose to go with a purple, gray and white motif, and I think it will look awesome with our white bedroom and office furniture.

Here are the quilt and pillow shams we chose...

Stella Quilt and Shams

With these throw pillows...

Honeycomb Crewel Pillow Cover in Platinum

And this sheet set...

Organic Ikat-Stripe in Platinum

Now that we've got our bedding on lock, it's time to focus on other areas of the master.  We've picked out some new ceiling fans, and we'll be choosing new flooring in the upcoming weeks.  We're also still shopping for a loveseat and an ottoman for the sitting area, and I'm working on plans for additional office storage and bookcases.  Last but not least, we need to choose a paint color.  I'm gunning for a light gray with white trim, doors and ceilings, but Hubs thinks that sounds depressing. Ugh.  If any of you have any suggestions for me, I'm all ears!!

I can't wait to pull it all together and share the finished product with you!  Only 6 weeks away... Stay tuned for pictures!!

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Looks great, we still need to update our bedding and bedroom furniture after getting our king bed a few years back, oops.

Alicia said...

Hey there! I found your blog when searching for reviews of west elm's Stella quilt. I have it in the slate hue. Is your quilt pulling with cotton pills forming? Mine is, and I'm at a loss as to how to prevent it. Any ideas? Thanks!


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved