Monday, August 19, 2013

Movin' On Up

The countdown is on.  In short 10 days, Hubs and I are closing on our new house.  It's hard to believe it's almost here.  Pinch me.  No really, please pinch me so I know I'm not dreaming.

Trust me, I am beyond excited about the move, but I'll admit to being a little bit scared and nervous too.  We're just moving across town but it feels like a completely different world.  We've been living in the city, and now we're moving out to the suburbs.  While I've visited the mall in said suburb a bunch of times, I never thought about living here until recently, when our budget dictated that a house in the suburbs would be nicer, larger and newer than a house in the city.  I've absolutely loved the hustle and bustle of city life and the low maintenance of my condo, and let's face it.  I'm a city girl at heart.  However, I'll soon be saying goodbye to these stomping grounds and movin' on up to the northwest 'burb life.

The last week has been a pretty productive one for Hubs and I.  We've been purging things we don't need, packing up those that we do, and cleaning whatever's left in its trail.  It feels awesome to be making such great progress!

I have always known that I have a lot of stuff, but I had no idea just how much stuff I had until I started packing.  Holy schnikes.  The more we pack, the more crap we find.  It's UNREAL.  Right now, I've packed the living room, dining room, guest bedroom/office and guest bathroom, and it's filled 3/4 (or more) of our guest bedroom.



We have't touched most of the master bedroom, any of the master bathroom or any of the kitchen, but thankfully we aren't moving for another month or so, so we've got some time.

Yes, you read that right.  We're closing on the house in 10 days, but not moving for another month.  I'm sure you're curious why, and it makes sense because most people move pretty quickly after they close on a house.  Welllll, we have a LOT of work to do.  The entire interior of the house needs to be repainted (thank you, present owners, for your wild taste in paint colors).  We need to put in all new flooring (just say no to white carpet).  We need to change out about 75% of the light fixtures in the house and install recessed lighting (bye bye, ugly lights).  We need to rebuild the interior of the master bedroom closet (adios, gross wire mesh closet shelves).  Those are the projects that we need to do before we even move in.  Yup, so much to do!!  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared about how to coordinate all of this within the next month.

The day after we close, I'm taking the day off from work to have people come out to the house to do some quick projects and give us quotes for the big stuff.  I've arranged for the locksmith, garage door opener installer, flooring estimator, painter and electrician to come out that day, and by tomorrow, I'll also have a fencing company lined up to give me a quote to finish fencing the backyard.  Whew!

And after allllllll of that work gets done, then we have to move.  We had planned on moving over the weekend of September 14-15, but now we'll be out of town.  My husband's godfather, Tom, and his long-time partner, David, are getting married in Delaware that weekend!  We just found out about the wedding last weekend and we immediately bought plane tickets to Philly.  We will be putting off our move for another week to be there for Tom and David's big day.  I wouldn't miss it for the world, even though the timing is less than ideal!

We've got such an exciting, busy, frantic month ahead of us.  I really, really (really) hope things go smoothly from here on out and there are no major surprises.  Nothing with buying a home is ever easy, but I *think* we've got things under control.  Now on to more packing...  Toodles!

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Congrats girl, that is so exciting!!!!


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved