Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Pregnancy Q&A

Since I found out that I was pregnant, I have been asked allllll kinds of questions from friends, family, coworkers, and even strangers.  Here's a sampling of what I've been asked and the God's honest truth.

Enjoy, friends.

Q:  How far along are you?  (courtesy of my assistant this morning)
A:  I'm currently at 16 weeks.  Just 24 weeks to go until baby arrives!!

Q:  Are you sure there's only one baby in there?  (courtesy of my uncle)
A:  YES, we have verified this with the doctor and ultrasound tech at every single appointment.  I'm a twin, but I'm relieved to only be having one!

Q:  Were you and your husband trying to have a baby? (courtesy of two nosy coworkers)
A:  Yes, but no.  We have always wanted kids, but weren't really "trying" since my doctor told me it could take a year or more for me to get pregnant after we pulled the goalie (I'd been on BC FOREVER).  I was told by my doctor to take it easy and not to stress or work too hard unless it doesn't happen by the 1 year mark.  So we just weren't preventing but weren't really "trying", and you know what that leads to... a bun in the oven!  Even though we were surprised by our news, we were and still are absolutely overjoyed.  The timing couldn't be better!

Q:  Have you been doing any cardio?  I hear that pregnancy takes a toll on your body and working out helps. (courtesy of a fitness fanatic friend)
A:  I've been walking and stuff, but I'm just out of my first trimester where I was exhausted all the time.  So no, there hasn't been a lot of cardio going on (aside from brisk walks with my dog).  The second trimester should be much better for that. (She looked at me disapprovingly, btw.  Whatever.)

Q:  Are you wearing maternity clothes yet?  (courtesy of my mom and sister)
A:  I wear both!  Most of my pre-pregnancy clothes still fit, but the pants are snug.  I've been wearing maternity pants for the last couple of weeks just because they're so comfy, but I've been wearing regular pants sometimes too.  Most of my pre-pregnancy tops still fit, but the dresses are just not as flattering.  Soon it will be mostly maternity, with a few regular cardis thrown in.

Q:  Are you showing yet?  (courtesy of my friend up in MI and my sister)
A:  Yes, I'm just starting to show.  I have an awkward B belly, but it should round out in the months to come.  Right now it just looks like I polished off a 32 oz. T-bone steak with all of the acoutrements for lunch.

Q:  How much weight have you gained? (Courtesy of another nosy coworker)
A:  I gained 6 lbs in my first trimester, but I'm trying to limit my overall weight gain.  I expect to gain some, but I don't want it to get out of control since I'm already plus sized.  And, it would be less for me to worry about losing after baby gets here!

Q:  Do you have bad gas yet?  (courtesy of a stranger)
A:  I have bad acid reflux (hearburn, burping, stomach upset), but gas, as in farting?  Not yet.  That's something to look forward to, I suppose.

Q:  What prenancy symptoms have you had?  (courtesy of my bosses)
A:  Acid reflux, restless sleep, lower back pain, a little nausea at first, exhaustion, and swollen feet.  Thank goodness that I never had any morning sickness (please don't throw rocks at me!). 

Q:  Are you craving pickles and ice cream yet?  (courtesy of a friend)
A:  Not really.  I haven't had many cravings or aversions, but sweet things have been sounding really good recently.  I've been eating a lot of fruit and trying to keep myself away from candy and cookies, but I haven't been entirely successful in that (you know it's Girl Scout cookie season, after all). 

Q:  Are you planning to breastfeed? (courtesy of a friend from high school and a coworker)
A:  I have no idea.  I feel like formula feeding would be better for me, but I haven't ruled out breastfeeding yet.  If I breastfed, I'd mostly be pumping and using bottles anyway.  I just can't see myself with a baby suckling on me all the time, but I have read about the benefits of breast milk.  I'll decide sometime in the next 5 months!

Q:  What are you doing about childcare?  Will you stay home with the baby or put him or her in daycare?  (courtesy of 2 friends from high school)
A:  I'm going to be working mom, so daycare it is!  We don't have family in the immediate area, so we don't have any other options.  We started touring daycare centers this week and will wrap that up by the end of March.

Q:  Do you want a boy or a girl?  (courtesy of my bosses)
A:  I don't care either way!  Honestly!  I would be happy with a girl or a boy, but I really don't know much about boys.  I'd figure it out, though!  My husband wants a boy so badly, but we'll see what's in there soon!

Q:  Have you picked out any names?  (courtesy of everyone I've talked to lately)
A:  Yes, but we won't be sharing it publicly until the baby is born.

Q:  Do you know the baby's sex yet?  (courtesy of everyone I've talked to lately)
A:  Yes!  We just found out last week thanks to our Panorama testing.  I have a blog post coming soon to share the news, so stay tuned!

Q:  Have you decided on a nursery theme yet?  (courtesy of an aunt)
A:  No, we've been looking at bedding and decor, but nothing stands out to us yet.  The search continues!  We do plan to incorporate giraffes in some way since they're my favorite animal, though.


So there you have it!  Current questions and our answers.  Were you or anyone else you know asked any funny or inappropriate questions during pregnancy?

3 comments:

Lane said...

Don't you wish you could just pass out a list of your Q&As to everyone :) I don't know how many people ask if I want a boy or girl and I always feel so awkward answering it. We find out this weekend, so excited!

Nichole @ casadecrews.com said...

Duddde, a stranger asked if you had gas?! OMG...also, "pulled the goalie" is something Jason says and I had never heard someone else say that until now...can't wait to see you tonight, preggo! <3

Lauren said...

Can't believe all these questions, wow! Thanks for sharing and wishing you the best in this pregnancy :-) Can't wait to find out the sex!


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved