Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Baby C's Nursery Reveal

After months of planning and preparations, Hubs and I finally gathered everything we need for our little girl's arrival.  We had our baby showers (pictures coming soon!) and utilized those ever-valuable registry completion coupons to ensure that we have the essentials ready to go for Baby C's imminent arrival.

The biggest hurdle we've had has been preparing her nursery.  Although we plan to have her sleep in our room for the first 4-6 weeks, having her room completed was one way that I could officially feel "ready".

I had quite a debate in my mind about how to decorate the baby's room.  My first inclination was to check out ideas at ProjectNursery.com and Pinterest.  I saw ideas I LOVED.  The designs had the requisite chevron patterns, monograms and modern furnishings... Friends, they were gorgeous!  I adored the chic color palettes, statement wallpapers and ultra-mod light fixtures.  However, I found myself enamored with designs that didn't really look like they were for children at all, let alone babies.  Anyone, of any age, could have lived in those rooms if you swapped the crib for a queen sized bed and ditched the changing pad.  That's when it dawned on me:  I want my baby's nursery to look like it belongs to a BABY.  I want to decorate with her in mind, not my own grown-up tastes and desires.  I had to push that selfishness and desire for a Pinterest-worthy room aside and focus on my little girl.

So, my focus changed.  I was then looking at bedding and classic nursery items that were cute and pink and all of that jazz.  I began to entertain the thought of "cartoon-y" bedding, which had been off the table before.  That's also when my husband and I talked about incorporating some of the items from my childhood collection of giraffes (which have always been my favorite animal) into the design.  When I went to register, my sister and I found a very cute crib bedding set that used giraffes and jungle animals, but it was still girly and distinctly baby-like.  Hubs liked it too, and the decision was made.  We were going with the girly jungle animals, but trying not to over-play the theme.

We finished decorating and organizing the nursery last week, and besides a few art prints that haven't come in yet, the room is done.  Hallelujah!  There were times when I wondered if it was ever going to be done.

Below, you're getting a peek of our work...




A good friend of mine had also given us a wooden diaper pad tray for the top of the dresser, which I was excited about using.  She painted it a light lime green to match the bedding but contrast with other colors used in the room.  However, the rubber pads she put on the bottom took the finish off of our dining room table, so we decided that we need to find some other pads for the bottom before we dare put it on the new dresser.  Hopefully that will work out down the road.

We also have a monogrammed throw pillow for the arm chair coming soon, so that will be a great extra touch for the room.  I'm very excited to show our daughter around her new room once she arrives.  I'm proud of how the room turned out, and feel like it's very appropriate for both baby and I's tastes.

Now that this is done, we're just putting the finishing touches on the house to prepare for Baby C.  She should be here very soon, we're ready for that whirlwind to begin!

1 comment:

Lauren Nicole said...

The nursery came out so pretty love the hanging monogram! :-)
http://atasteoflifelauren.blogspot.com/


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved