Thursday, October 9, 2014

Life Lately

I can't believe it's already Thursday.  I need to hit the pause button to enjoy this day and week a little longer!  

Since I'm just getting back into the swing of things on my little blog, here are some updates on my life lately...

  • Honestly, I'm just losing track of time while I'm on maternity leave.  I have been off work for about 7 weeks, and I have 5 weeks left before I go back to work.  I'm really not looking forward to leaving Avery everyday, but I enjoy my job so it will be alright. (At least that's what I like to tell myself.)
  • I finally got around to having a Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks, and it was glorious.  Like angels sang and the sun shined brighter for those few minutes while I guzzled that bad boy.  I followed that up with a pumpkin milkshake from Wawa, a TON of pumpkin-y goodness from Trader Joe's, and several types of pumpkin beer.  Yum-yum-yum, Fall is here!
  • My husband's godfather, Tom, came to visit us from Delaware last weekend marking our first non-parental overnight guest since the baby arrived and Pete's first family member (Tom is family to us, even if not by genetics) to meet the baby in person.  He was a little bit nervous about holding such a tiny baby, but after holding her for a bit, he clearly hadn't lost his touch with kids.  Tom also cooked us a huge Italian meal that left us with a freezer full of leftovers.  While he was here, we took him to Clearwater Beach, to a local Italian market, and we spent time at the mall so Tom could do some early Christmas shopping while his hubby was nowhere near us.  We had a fabulous time, and can't wait to have Tom visit again with his husband, David.
  • We got a "cold front" here in Florida over the weekend and the temperatures dipped into the middle and upper 70's.  It was literally perfect weather, but not quite the sweater weather I've been hoping for.  I pray that further cool weather finds its way to Florida soon so I can bust out my scarves and hoodies!
  • Avery has been going through a growth spurt, which I've dubbed "Scream Fest 2014", for the past couple of weeks, making the afternoons and evenings pure hell.  If she hasn't been eating or sleeping, she's been crying.  Thankfully, she's been doing better in the past two days, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she's getting back to normal... and that my sanity can be re-adjusted.  
  • Our dog hasn't been happy about the lack of attention she's getting now that Avery has arrived. Her shenanigans have included peeing in the house right in front of us, peeing on my work laptop bag, tearing apart my lunch bag, and pulling everything out of any box or bag that's on or near the floor the minute we walk out of the room.  So, we did what we know we needed to do:  We hired a doggie drill sergeant dog trainer that a friend of mine recommended.  This trainer is seriously AMAZING and we love her to death.  While it's hard teaching a 14 year old dog new tricks, Bella has been responding very well!  We're even working on general behavioral things that have been bad habits for Bella.  She now walks like a champ on the leash (even next to the stroller!) and doesn't charge the front door when someone knocks or rings the doorbell.  I don't know about you, but I believe the last thing a visitor wants when they come through my front door is to have 16 pounds of gray, shaggy fury to tackle them to the ground.  We've also been confining her to the laundry room with a baby gate when we leave the house and put her on "place" (her dog bed) when we need her to stay somewhere while we're busy with the baby/laundry/dishes/etc. and don't want her getting into anything.  Bella has always been sweet and kind to the baby and the baby's things, but we don't want bad behavior to escalate to those areas.
  • Did I mention that 1.5 weeks after the baby arrived, we found a leak in our dishwasher drain line and mold in our kitchen?  Stay tuned for a post on that.  It's too much to go into here.
I think those are the highlights.  It's been a wild, wonderful few weeks, but now I'm off to figure out how to use this new Ergo baby carrier that I bought.  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Lane said...

I'm going to need the name of this dog trainer. Seriously are dogs are nuts, they are great with the baby but act like they have never seen a person before when anyone comes over and it's embarrassing.


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved