Monday, April 6, 2015

Give & Grub Food Truck - Stick it to hunger!

I love hearing about new corporate and charitable partnerships that benefit my local community.  So many organizations give back in big ways, and that warms my heart.  I've been an active volunteer on and off since I was a teenager, and feel that the community can help those in need through even the smallest of efforts.

I was contacted by a local marketing team that is promoting one such corporate charitable giving concept called Give & Grub Food Truck.  This is a partnership between The Laser Spine Institute and The Tampa Bay Lightning (our local professional hockey team), and the concept is quite unique.  The truck sells great quality meals around the local area and for each meal served and #GiveandGrub hashtag used, the organization gives away a meal to a child in need.  Pretty amazing, right?!

I was invited to an individual tasting, so I attended a truck stop event near my office after work one day.  The menu features gourmet takes on the players and coaches' favorite foods, and everything I tried was amazingly delicious! 

The food truck itself was decked out and had all of the bells and whistles--even beer taps, a built in cooler case and some huge, amazing skylights.  Never mind using it for food.  I'll just live in it.


Booo.... "Out of Order" :(




I sampled the Tacos, Mac and Cheese and a burger, and took everything home to share with my husband, who was on baby duty that evening.  I adored the freshness and authentic flavor of the tacos, and Hubs and I agreed that the food was far better than the vast majority food truck meals we've eaten.  All fresh, all well-cooked, all well-seasoned, and all made me want more!

Hedman's Steak Tacos
Coach Cooper's Candied Burger
Callahan's Mac Slam
Did I mention that they bake their own bread daily?  They do, and it's delicious!  Who doesn't love soft, warm brown bread?  (Think Outback Steakhouse bread used for a burger... yum!)

I met the chef, who was also a total delight.  You can really tell that this man loves his job and ability to partner with other organizations to serve a vital need in our community. 

I later attended an event that Give & Grub was hosting for the local blogging group, and was also able to try two new dishes:  A steak sandwich and sweet potato waffle fries drizzled with maple syrup and marshmallow cream.  The sweet potato fries were like dessert--so yummy and comforting.  The steak sandwich was also quite tasty and had the most tender steak, something I look for in any good steak sandwich.  Tough meat is a no-go for me, and this was divine!

Steak Sandwich and Sweet Potato Waffle Fries
(It's okay if your mouth is watering right now.)

My box of food to try, featuring a 1/2 Steak Sandwich, Sweet Potato Waffle Fries, a Steak Taco,
a cup of Callahan's  Mac Slam and 1/2 a Chicken Parmkos Sandwich.
We had a lot of fun at the blogger event as well, and I finally met some local bloggers who I just hadn't managed to bump into yet!

Thunderbug loves to show off Give & Grub meals


At the time of the event, purchased meals and hashtags used had generated 25,000 meals donated to needy children in Tampa Bay.  As of this past weekend, the purchased meals and hashtags had already generated 15,000 more meals for children, for a total 40,000 meals given away.  How impressive is that??

In case you're wondering, meals are given away to children at low-income schools where the vast majority of children are receiving free or reduced price school lunches.  Every Friday, schools are chosen and all children at those schools receive a backpack filled with 5 meals.  I'm astounded at the generosity of the Laser Spine Institute and the Tampa Bay Lightning Hockey Club.  It's wonderful to see two amazing organizations giving back in such a significant way.

Overall, you cannot miss out on trying the Give & Grub Food Truck if you live in the Tampa Bay area or you're here in April or May on vacation.  Seriously, I will never lead you wrong when it comes to good eats!

No comments:


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved