Tuesday, April 14, 2015

I Dig In

Ever since Avery was born, it seems like life had thrown Hubs and I one curve ball after another, as if a new baby wasn't enough on it's own.  There have been times where it feels like the stress is insurmountable, and like so many important decisions are lying in front of us.

We've managed to work through a number of these challenges, knocking them out one by one.   As the old saying goes, "How do you eat an elephant?  One bite at a time."

Well, last week felt like the week from Hell.

It was one of those weeks where I was running late to work every single morning, dealt with two contagious illness outbreaks at work (as an HR and safety manager for a healthcare company, these things tend to come up from time to time), one of my assistants resigned to go back to school full-time, and lots of other stuff (mostly work-related).  I have more work than I can even begin to do, and now I have two positions to fill.

On top of that, Avery had a HUGE week of firsts.  After sitting up completely on her own the week before, last week she decided to pull out all the stops by crawling, saying mama and dada AND cutting her first two teeth.  Yes, ALL IN THE SAME WEEK.  Hubs and I went from a relatively peaceful time with Avery to times where she's on the move every single second.  It's freaking exhausting.

Damn, that's a lot for one week.  Unfortunately, I don't see that the upcoming weeks will be much better, considering workload, things with the kiddo and other personal commitments.

On my way home from work on Friday, I was listening to some Bob Marley on the Margaritaville SiriusXM station, which sometimes helps to clear my brain after a stressful week.  While listening, I realized that when things get stressful, there are two kinds of people in this world:  The kind who throw their hands up in defeat and the kind who dig in and plow through the shit in their lives, solving problems and getting stuff done.

I'm the kind that digs in.

Stress sucks, but getting through tough times and coming out the other side with a smile and a sense of accomplishment is what makes me who I am.  I work hard and I don't give up.  I only start things that I intend to finish, and I always finish them.  Always.

So I'm going to continue to get through the workload and stress and projects, and work on being the best wife, mom, pet parent, sister, daughter, employee, boss, and friend I can be along the way.   While things aren't easy right now, the struggle is just part of life and I look forward to celebrating every victory, completion, and ending along the way.

I did get some nice kudos from my VP the other day, and I know my employees appreciate my work as their leader.  My husband appreciates my hard work and my baby lights up whenever we're together.  Hearing her say Mama when I picked her up the other day washed away the entire day's worries and stress.

My family is my center, my constant, and their appreciation means the world to me.  The validation from those at work and my family tells me that I'm on the right track, and I'm listening to my gut tell me when to forge ahead and when to take a step back.  My instincts and support from my personal and work families are what have to drive me when I feel like the unknown is just too much to bear.

But I dig in, and it will all get done in time.

1 comment:

Nichole @ casadecrews.com said...

She said words?! Holy cow, Avery!! I'm sorry you had a rough week, but I do love that you are a "dig in" kind of gal :)


My photo
Tampa, Florida, United States
I'm a wife, daughter and amazing twin sister. I'm a mom to my adorable dog, Bella. Loves: Shopping, cooking, baking, good grammar and Dave Matthews Band. I'm also a Bath and Body Works addict, a Michigan State Spartans fanatic, and an iPhone aficionado. I see beauty in simple things and little things make me ever-so-happy. Welcome to my world!


La Bella Vita

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Crisdan Designs

Categories

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved